Police Discretion Position
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper examines the controversy that has arisen over the use of police discretion and discusses several of the myths that have come to be connected with it. The paper also explains that, since full enforcement of all the laws is not possible, and since not every scenario is covered by the law, police discretion continues to be a necessity. The author concludes that a more open agency policy will foster a trustworthy relationship with the public which will enable police officers to use discretion without fear of reprisal, civil liability or corruption.
From the Paper:"Police work encompasses what other professions do not, in that there are few uncontroversial areas within its realm. Professionalism, thus, comes at a cost to police officers because the public seems unwilling to trust them informally; instead, the public seems to want strict, formal accountability mechanisms in place. Simply put, society at times, desires loose enforcement, at other times, strict enforcement. "
Sample of Sources Used:
- Calderon, M. (2006). Are laws being enforced? Retrieved June 22, 2008, from http://www.anairhoads.org/calderon/pollaw.shtml
- Dantzker, M. L. (2003). Understanding today's police (3rd ed.). Prentice-Hall Inc.
- MacHenry, M. (2003). Police discretion vs. petty laws or "Why Hamorabi is rolling over in his grave". Retrieved June 21, 2008, from http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dskippy/essays/soc1206_final.html
- O'Connor, T. (2004). Police in society. JUS 205 syllabus. Retrieved June 22, 2008, from http://faculty.ncwc.edu/TOConnor/205/default.htm
- Rivera, B. (2006). Police discretion. Retrieved June 21, 2008, from http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/23232/police_discretion.html
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
Police Discretion Position (2008, July 02) Retrieved July 16, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/police-discretion-position-105242/
"Police Discretion Position" 02 July 2008. Web. 16 July. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/police-discretion-position-105242/>