Physical Therapy Direct Access in New York State
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses physical therapy direct access legislation in New York State, which permits patients to seek the services of a physical therapist without a physician referral. With direct access, patients are able to quickly access a physical therapist, who can immediately evaluate, diagnose, prevent and treat the patient safely and effectively. The paper maintains that this process will provide long-term benefits for everyone, which include improved health care, professional challenge and reward, and marked financial savings. To conclude, the paper advocates increased public awareness of direct access and urges physical therapists to encourage legislators to federally enact full direct access with total reimbursement from third-party insurers.
From the Paper:"The patient, responsible for initiating the direct access chain of events, has a tremendous advantage with direct access. Public awareness of the direct access law is one of the greatest duties charged to the physical therapy community. Principle 8 of the Physical Therapy Code of Ethics (American Physical Therapy Association [APTA], 2006) states "A physical therapist shall provide and make available accurate and relevant information to patients/clients about their care and to the public about physical therapy services." In addition to it being an obligation, educating patients is our forte, and a patient at once knowledgeable of his/her rights can act as a catalyst for further reform down the road. The public must learn about its rights to access the services of a physical therapist without a physician referral. This right poses the patient with the opportunity to take his/her health care into their own hands, and significantly enhance their quality of life."
Sample of Sources Used:
- American Physical Therapy Association. (2000). Vision 2020. Retrieved from http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=About_APTA&Template=/TaggedPage/TaggedPageDisplay.cfm&TPLID=41&ContentID=23725
- American Physical Therapy Association. (2006). Code of Ethics. Retrieved October 28, 2006, from http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Core_Documents1&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=25854
- Massey, B. (2002, November). What's All the Fuss About Direct Access. Physical Therapy, 82, 1120-1123.
- Mitchell, J., & de Lissovoy, G. (1997, January). A Comparison of Resource Use and Cost in Direct Access Versus Physician Referral Episodes of Physical Therapy. Physical Therapy, 77, 10-18.
- New York Physical Therapy Law, Article 136, New York State Education Department: Office of the Professions, 6731 (2006).
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
Physical Therapy Direct Access in New York State (2008, March 04) Retrieved May 26, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/physical-therapy-direct-access-in-new-york-state-101841/
"Physical Therapy Direct Access in New York State" 04 March 2008. Web. 26 May. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/physical-therapy-direct-access-in-new-york-state-101841/>