Patriot Act: A Means to a Bad End Persuasive Essay by Jay Writtings LLC
Patriot Act: A Means to a Bad End
An argument that the Patriot Act allows the U.S. government too much power to abuse.
# 120007 | 1,830 words | 16 sources | MLA | 2010 |
Published on Jun 01, 2010 in Political Science (U.S.) , Political Science (Terrorism)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper contends that the enactment of the Patriot Act jeopardizes national freedom by giving government too much unchecked power in the name of national security. The paper looks at how historically, governments that have too much power abuse that power and oppress the people they govern. Then, the paper provides numerous examples of abuses of the Patriot act that are already on record, such as the misuse of surveillance, the unfair use of search and seizure procedures and the abusive treatment of immigrants. The paper maintains that while fear of terror has lead to the enactment of the Patriot Act, the real fear should be the power that the Act grants the government.
From the Paper:"The fight for freedom from oppression in the United States has been hard won with thousands of deaths in its wake. This fight began with the revolutionary war to free America from British domination followed by the civil war to free African American slaves from government endorsed subjugation. Since then African Americans and women have demanded the basic freedoms from oppression promised in the constitution and Bill of Rights. Today this battle continues as homosexuals fight for their rights. There is no doubt that freedom from oppression is a precious gift and must be guarded against anyone or anything that threatens it. The enactment of the Patriot Act jeopardizes this by giving government too much unchecked power in the name of national security and that will, as it has in the past, lead to oppression. It is for this reason that the Patriot Act must be either eliminated or heavily amended."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Ang, Audra. "China Seals Town After Police Kill Protesters; Up to 20 fatally shot | Escalation of recent unrest." Seattle Times 10 Dec. 2005, Fourth ed., sec. A: 1. ProQuest. 28 Feb. 2006. Keyword: Police State Abuse
- Bovard, James. "A Terrorist on Every Corner?" Los Angeles Times 8 Feb. 2006, Home ed., sec. B: 15. ProQuest. 1 Mar. 2006. Keyword: Patriot Act
- Burnham, David. "The F.B.I. (Federal Bureau of Investigation)." The Nation 11 Aug. 1997: 11-12. Infotrac. 2 Mar. 2006. Keyword: Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- Dempsey, James X. "Framed by the FBI." The Nation 8 July 2002: 7. Infotrac. 2 Mar. 2006. Keyword: Patriot Act.
- Eggen, Dan. "Senate Approves Partial Renewal of Patriot Act; Measure Would Limit Search and Seizure Powers." The Washington Post 30 July 2005, Final ed., sec. A: 03. ProQuest. 1 Mar. 2006. Keyword: Patriot Act
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
Patriot Act: A Means to a Bad End (2010, June 01) Retrieved April 01, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/patriot-act-a-means-to-a-bad-end-120007/
"Patriot Act: A Means to a Bad End" 01 June 2010. Web. 01 April. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/patriot-act-a-means-to-a-bad-end-120007/>