National Response Plan during Hurricane Katrina
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper looks at how the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) was criticized for the amount of the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina, its lack of an evacuation plan and its poor response after the storm. The paper provides recommendations for the DHS and relates that the organization's lack of help for people to evacuate seems to be what most people see as the major failing of the DHS. The paper concludes that the pre-disaster response appears to be the area on which the department should focus.
From the Paper:"It is no secret that many people believe the National Response Plan (NRP) failed drastically during and after Hurricane Katrina hit Louisiana in 2005. This plan was created by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to be implemented when just such a disaster occurred. The Department of Homeland Security is designed to protect the country against various threats. Most notably, though, it is designed to protect the United States from terrorism on American soil. This particular department was created after the terrorist attacks that took place on September 11, 2001. It is a cabinet-level post and the need for it was seen after the attacks."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Argyris, C., (1993). Knowledge for action: A guide to overcoming barriers to organizational change. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Argyris, C. & Schon, D. A. (1978). Organizational learning, A theory of action perspective. Boston, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Broom, C., Jackson, M., Harris, J., & Vogelsang-Coombs, V. (n.d.). Performance measurement: Concepts and techniques (3rd ed.), workbook. Washington, DC: American Society for Public administration.
- Brown, M. M., & Brudney, J. L. (2003). Learning organizations in the public sector? A study of police agencies employing information and technology to advance knowledge. Public Administration Review. 63(1), 30-43.
- Dunham, R. S. (2002, June 24). The superagency: A good start, but ..., Business Week, i3788, p. 50.
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
National Response Plan during Hurricane Katrina (2009, March 06) Retrieved June 24, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/national-response-plan-during-hurricane-katrina-112776/
"National Response Plan during Hurricane Katrina" 06 March 2009. Web. 24 June. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/national-response-plan-during-hurricane-katrina-112776/>