Homeless in Toronto Persuasive Essay by Quality Writers
Homeless in Toronto
This paper discusses the problem of homelessness in Toronto focusing on the years 1987-2005.
# 102745 | 1,507 words | 7 sources | MLA | 2008 |
Published on Mar 31, 2008 in Sociology (General) , Political Science (General) , Canadian Studies (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
In this article, the writer notes that homelessness in Toronto is an ever-growing problem facing the city. The materialization of this problem has not been caused by one single action or event. Rather, it has been growing due to several factors facing homeless individuals, as well as the society and the government. This paper discusses the extent of the problem of homelessness in Toronto, the problems that the homeless people are facing today as well as the factors that have led to a rise in homelessness, including the cutbacks in social programmers and policy by the government. Finally, the writer discusses what needs to be done in order to deal with this problem.
From the Paper:"Homeless people also face many barriers to accessing the healthcare system, sometimes simply because they do not have a permanent address or because their health card has been stolen. Furthermore, there are prevailing false beliefs and stereotypes about the homeless, particularly since historically homelessness has been linked to vagrancy. Many still believe that homelessness in the result of an inadequacy or failure of an individual rather than the responsibility of the society. Many studies have pointed to the fact that the increase in the number of homeless citizens significantly burdens many other services: health, legal, employment etc."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Muckle, Wendy, and Jeffrey Turnbull. "Sheltering the homeless/arbiter les sans-abri.(Column)." CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal 175. 10 (2006): 1177-1178
- Laurenson, Penelope and Damian Collins. "Towards inclusion: Local government, public space and homelessness in new Zealand," New Zealand Geographer 62, 3 (2006): 185-195
- Golden, A., Currie, WH., Greaves, E., Latimer, EJ. "Taking responsibility for homelessness: an action plan for Toronto. Report of the Mayor's Homelessness Action task Force." Toronto: City of Toronto, January 1999. http://www.toronto.ca/pdf/homeless_action.pdf (accessed January 19, 2007)
- City of Toronto. "Toronto Report card on Housing and Homelessness 2003." http://www.toronto.ca/homelessness/pdf/reportcard2003.pdf (Accessed January 20, 2007)
- Hargrave, Connie. "Homelessness in Canada- From housing to shelters to blankets; Homelessness and poverty issues, Shares International Archives." April, 1999. http://www.share-international.org/archives/homelessness/hl-ch_Canada.htm (Accessed January 20, 2007)
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
Homeless in Toronto (2008, March 31) Retrieved June 01, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/homeless-in-toronto-102745/
"Homeless in Toronto" 31 March 2008. Web. 01 June. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/homeless-in-toronto-102745/>