Gun Rights and Gun Bans
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper focuses on the Supreme Court's decision to uphold gun rights in the famous Washington DC gun ban case and argues that allowing citizens over the age of eighteen to own handguns increases both gun related death and injury in addition to crime. The paper argues further that injuries and deaths will especially rise in the vulnerable groups of juveniles and the mentally ill. The paper calls for a federally mandated gun ban that will solve the problem of gun crime and gun safety.
From the Paper:"With the Supreme Court's recent decision to uphold gun rights in the famous DC gun ban case, the issue of gun control has become a topic of great discussion in recent weeks. While the Supreme Court's decision to uphold the second amendment in terms of private citizens answers some constitutional questions about the issue, it does not put an end to all firearm regulations. For instance, the sale of firearms can still be regulated; criminals and the mentally ill can still be banned from carrying weapons; bans in certain areas, like schools, are still permissible; and conceal and carry laws are still in place (Doherty). Despite the regulations that remain, lifting the Washington, D.C. gun ban has implications for both legal and criminal justice fields."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Cook, Phillip J. and Ludwig, Jens. Evaluating Gun Policy: Effects on Crime and Violence. Washington, D.C.: Brookings: 2003.
- Cromie, William J. "System Tracks Gun Deaths: Details are being collected on murders, suicides in the U.S." Harvard University Gazette. 28 September 2000: News.
- Deconde, Alexander. Gun Violence in America: The Struggle for Control. York: Maple Press, 2001.
- Doherty, Brian. "Court Preserves Gun Rights." Editorials. 2008. Courant.com. 7 July 2008. <http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editorials/hc-doherty0701.artjul01,0,2583820.story>.
- "Juveniles and Guns (sidebar)." Issues & Controversies On File 22 Nov. 2002. Issues & Controversies. Facts On File News Services. 6 July 2008 <http://0-www.2facts.com.oak.indwes.edu:80>.
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
Gun Rights and Gun Bans (2009, March 17) Retrieved February 06, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/gun-rights-and-gun-bans-113080/
"Gun Rights and Gun Bans" 17 March 2009. Web. 06 February. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/gun-rights-and-gun-bans-113080/>