Global and Public Health
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explains the importance of epidemiology studies in general and how the results can be used in strategies to help prevent certain health problems. It goes on to explain the importance of this study which relates to the fact that unwanted teenage pregnancy is not only a health issue, but also a sociological one. It provides statistics from a particular area, Fulton, Georgia and discusses how teenage girls can be helped to prevent becoming pregnant.
From the Paper:''One key step is to identify a particular population that is at risk of the condition being studied. Specifically, the condition addressed here is teenage pregnancy in Fulton, Georgia. The population group addressed is therefore teenagers in Fulton, and the condition examined is unwanted pregnancy. The importance of this study relates to the fact that unwanted teenage pregnancy is not only a health issue, but also a sociological one. In the typical epidemiological study then, both strategies to mitigate the consequences of unwanted pregnancy and to prevent the phenomenon can be established.
''Selecting the target population is an important issue. Often completely random selection is not possible. Examining the entire target population is also not a very feasible option. It is therefore often necessary to make a partially random selection by means of identifying an accessible subset within the target population. Fulton, GA is then selected as such an accessible subset, with a random population chosen to examine the teenage pregnancy problem."
Sample of Sources Used:
- BMJ (2009). What is epidemiology? http://www.bmj.com/epidem/epid.1.html
- Georgia Agape. (2009). Teenage Pregnancy? Important Information For You. http://www.georgiaagape.org/unplanned_pregnancies/teen_pregnancy.html
- Georgia Department of Human Resources (2009). Adolescent Health and Youth Development: Community Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program. http://health.state.ga.us/programs/adolescent/community.asp
- Georgia Family Connection Partnership (2009). Fulton County, Georgia: Profile of Child, Family and Community Well-Being. http://www.gafcp.org/kidscount/profiles/Fulton_Fact_Sheet_2008.pdf
- Rosenberg, Deborah & Handler, Arden. (1985). Descriptive Epidemiology and Statistical Estimation. http://www.uic.edu/sph/dataskills/publications/wrkbkpdfs/chap1.pdf
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
Global and Public Health (2011, August 30) Retrieved December 01, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/global-and-public-health-148087/
"Global and Public Health" 30 August 2011. Web. 01 December. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/global-and-public-health-148087/>