Equal Employment Opportunity Policies
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper takes a look at equal emplyment opportunity (EEO) legislation and explains that its policies are centred around decreasing and eliminating discrimination in today's workforce. In particular, the paper describes EEO legislation and the shortcomings of this practice. The paper also argues in favor of the benefits of the alternative approach: diversity.
From the Paper:"EEO describes the continuous change in the culture and behaviour of the workplace, which ensures that employees have equal access to fulfilling work lives (Dessler, Griffiths, & Lloyd-Walker, 2004). Linbert Spencer (2005:54) defines equal opportunity as the requirement of organisations to offer "relevant and appropriate access for the participation, development and advancement of all individuals". EEO policies are centred around decreasing and eliminating discrimination in today's workforce. There are 16 generally recognised areas of discrimination, including: age; disability; and sex."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Blair, S., McDougall, M., Masson, M., & Maxwell, G. 2000. The equal opportunities/managing diversity debate: Engaging with a macro perspective. Management Research News, 23(9-11): 22-24
- Dessler, G., Griffiths, J., & Lloyd-Walker, B. 2004. Human Resource Management 2e, Australia: Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Spencer, L. 2005, June. Diversity and equal opportunities: WHY DO THEY MATTER? Training Journal, 54-57
- Strachan, G., Burgess, J., & Sullivan, A. 2004. Affirmative action or managing diversity: what is the future of equal opportunity policies in organisations? Women in Management Review, 19(4): 196-204
- Strachan, G., & Jamieson, S. 1999. Equal opportunity in Australia in the 1990s. New Zealand Journal of Industrial Relations, 24(3): 319-341
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
Equal Employment Opportunity Policies (2009, June 15) Retrieved February 26, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/equal-employment-opportunity-policies-114560/
"Equal Employment Opportunity Policies" 15 June 2009. Web. 26 February. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/equal-employment-opportunity-policies-114560/>