$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper relates that when Durkheim attempted to make society the origin of religion, rather than religion the origin of society, he made himself into a controversial figure. The paper is concerned about the decline in the study of the sociology of religion and asserts that it is difficult to disagree about the relevance of religion in today's world. The paper firmly believes that in order to better understand the dynamics that are taking place both in the U.S. and other countries, it is essential to have a better understanding of the two-way impact between religion and society.
Sample of Sources Used:
- Christiano, K., Swatos, W. Jr., and Kivisto, P. Sociology of Religion: Contemporary Developments. Walnut Creek, CA: Alta Mira Press, 2002
- Cnaan, R.A. Sociology of Religion: Contemporary Developments: Lanham, MD: AltaMira Press, 2002
- Durkheim, E. Elementary Forms of the Religious Life. New York: Freepress, 1967
- Idinapulos, T.A., and Wilson, B.C. Reappraising Durkheim for the Study and Teaching of Religion Today Boston, MA: Brill, 2001
- Luckmann, T. On Religion in Modern Society: Individual Consciousness, World View, Institution Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion,(1963) 2.2 147-162.
Cite this Persuasive Essay:
Emile Durkheim (2008, September 28) Retrieved April 17, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/emile-durkheim-108240/
"Emile Durkheim" 28 September 2008. Web. 17 April. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/persuasive-essay/emile-durkheim-108240/>