Upon Not Seeing the "David"
Presents the writer's thoughts on the arts and education after passing up an opportunity to see Michelangelo's "David" while touring Italy.
# 115121 | 2,150 words | 3 sources | MLA | 2009 |
Published on Jul 08, 2009 in Art (Education) , English (Narrative) , Education (General) , Philosophy (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This essay describes the writer's decision to forgo seeing Michelangelo's "David" while in Florence, Italy and instead go shopping and how this decision impacted her later education. The writer relates that she regrets that decision and reflects upon what helps someone appreciate such a work of art and how she hopes to have another opportunity to see "David" to gain a new appreciation for its genius.
From the Paper:"Personalization is a theme seen in education, and is one of the conclusions in The Achievement of Desire. Rodriguez was so mystified with education itself that it affected his ability to think critically. He was mystified by his teachers, and therefore, wrote down every word they said without really analyzing what had been said. He was mystified by the books he read, and therefore, didn't really gain anything from them. His relationship with education wasn't as strong as he believed."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Bartholomae, David & Anthony Petrosky. Ways of Reading. 8th Edition. Boston: Bedford, 2006.
- Berger, John. "Ways of Seeing." Ways of Reading. Eds. David Bartholomae & Anthony Petrosky. 8th Edition. Boston: Bedford, 2006. 95-118.
- Cage, John. "History of Experimental Music in the United States". Silence. Comp. 3 March 2009. <http://www.zakros.com/mica/soundart/s04/cage_text.html>
- Rodriguez, Richard. "The Achievement of Desire." Ways of Reading. Eds. David Bartholomae & Anthony Petrosky. 8th Edition. Boston: Bedford, 2006. 544-563.
- Walter, Benjamin. "The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction". Marxist Literary Criticism. Comp. Andy Blunden. Feb 2005. 3 March 2009. <http://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/ge/benjamin.htm>
Cite this Narrative Essay:
Upon Not Seeing the "David" (2009, July 08) Retrieved September 22, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/narrative-essay/upon-not-seeing-the-david-115121/
"Upon Not Seeing the "David"" 08 July 2009. Web. 22 September. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/narrative-essay/upon-not-seeing-the-david-115121/>