Managing My Transitions
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The writer provides a brief discussion on the concept of transitions and reviews Adler's and Schlossberg's transition theories. The writer then focuses on a transition's effect on him, specifically, the transition of graduating and of waiting for the right person to marry. The writer relates how he managed his graduation and how he can address the transition of waiting for the right person to marry.
From the Paper:"In understating the concept of transition, it is important to look into how the concept has been defined by various social science theorists. Led by Dr. Nancy Schlossberg, transition as a concept has in interpreted within the following perspectives. Transition is any event or non event that results in changed relationships, routines, assumptions and roles. (Evans, et al., 1998).
"Adler (1975) relates the concept of transition with cross cultural experiences. Adler pointed out that transition occurs as individuals experience cross cultural interactions it leads individuals to a higher level of maturity. Adler noted that throughout the transitional experience the individual is presented with differences and complexity. When differences cannot be ignored, they become distorted. This distortion gives rise to emotions that each person must come to understand experientially, thus learning, self awareness and personal growth takes place. (Adler, 1975, 22)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Smith P. (1999) Social Psychology across Cultures. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Adler, P.S. (1975) "The Transitional Experience: An Alternative View of Culture Shock", Journal of Humanistic Psychology, 15, 13-23.
- Schlossberg, N.K. (1984) Counseling Adults in Transitions. New York: Springer Publishing Company.
- Schlossberg, N.K. (1981) A Model for Human Adaptation to Transition, Counseling Psychologist 9(2) 2-18.
- Santiago, C. (2004) An Overview of Nancy Schlossberg's Transition Theory.
Cite this Narrative Essay:
Managing My Transitions (2011, February 28) Retrieved December 08, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/narrative-essay/managing-my-transitions-147180/
"Managing My Transitions" 28 February 2011. Web. 08 December. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/narrative-essay/managing-my-transitions-147180/>