Growing Up Poor
A narrative essay describing the experiences of the writer growing up poor in California and how she worked herself up in the world.
# 117667 | 1,390 words | 6 sources | APA | 2009 |
Published on Dec 14, 2009 in Anthropology (Cultural) , Child, Youth Issues (Family Issues) , Economics (Globalization)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper presents a narrative essay that discusses what the writer learned from growing up in an impoverished Hispanic household in California. First, the writer describes the writer's family background and the effects on her of growing up poor. The writer then describes her steps towards success and how she built herself up from where she came from.
From the Paper:"Today I feel that I learned so much by growing up so impoverished. I experienced life at its lowest, living almost hand to mouth each and every day, fighting against stereotypes, and working tremendously hard to try and change my future. My intentions are to inspire my siblings to seek out and find educational avenues that can give them the skills and intellect to escape from our immigrant past, and become strong and successful members of this country. I also hope that I can take all that I have learned and experienced and help others, who may not think they have the chance, to get out of the barrio. I am proof that you are not trapped into a role in life based on where you come from. I am proof that character can be built by doing without things, that serving as an inspiration by surviving the struggle is a greater reward than any escape can promise, and that getting an education is the first and most important step in escaping from the barrio and all of its stereotypes."
Sample of Sources Used:
- 2006 HHS Poverty Guidelines. (2006). US Department of Health and Human Services. Retrieved Oct. 16, 2006 from <http://aspe.hhs.gov/pverty/06poverty.shtml>
- Marx, Karl. (1844). Estranged Labour. Economic and Philosophical Manuscripts of 1844. Retrieved Oct. 16,2006 from <http://www.Marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1844/manuscripts/labour.htm>
- Mentoring Immigrant Youth. (2005). Retrieved Oct. 16, 2006 from <http://www.mentoring.org>
- Orange City, CA. (2006). Wikipedia. Retrieved Oct. 16, 2006 from <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange,_California>
- Theory of Knowledge. (2006). Wikipedia. Retrieved Oct. 16, 2006 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_Knowledge>
Cite this Narrative Essay:
Growing Up Poor (2009, December 14) Retrieved March 05, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/narrative-essay/growing-up-poor-117667/
"Growing Up Poor" 14 December 2009. Web. 05 March. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/narrative-essay/growing-up-poor-117667/>