$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper reviews and discusses Stephen King's masterpiece, 'The Shining'. According to the paper, Stanley Kubrick's film production of King's masterpiece, proved to be a landmark in the history of the movie industry. This paper tries to show that 'The Shining' can have two different interpretations, which the paper refers to as "apparitionist" and "non-apparitionist" theses, attempting to show that 'The Shining' is a typical ghost story and a pragmatic thriller at the same time.
From the Paper:"This rational interpretation of the movie continuously clashes with the supernatural aspect of the story. In this respect, The Shining could be qualified as a "phantasmagoric" movie, since the hypothesis under study here emphasizes the possible hallucinations of the protagonists, counterbalancing all the fantastic aspects exposed in our first part. It is rather difficult to privilege one thesis or another, because Kubrick wittily alternated evidences in favour of the one or the other. Indeed, the producer based the whole adaptation on the principle of uncertainty, arousing doubts within his characters and within the spectator at the same time. That is the subject of our last part."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Alizet Jean-ClaudeL'Annee de la fiction 1997 : polar, S.-F. fantastique, espionnage, bibliographie critiquecourante de l'autre litterature, Encrage, Travaux, Amiens, 1999.
- Bezzeto RogerL'Obscur objet d'un savoir, fantastique et science-fiction : deux litteratures de l'imaginaire,Publication de l'Universite de Provence, Aix - Marseille I, 1992.
- Caillois RogerAnthologie du fantastique, " De la feerie a la science-fiction " (preface).
- Couty DanielLe Fantastique, Bordas, Les Themes litteraires, Paris, 1989. (Epuise)
- Fabre JeanLe Miroir de sorciere, essai sur la litterature fantastique, Jose Corti, Les essais, Paris, 1992.
Cite this Film Review:
'The Shining' (2007, August 12) Retrieved December 09, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/film-review/the-shining-97376/
"'The Shining'" 12 August 2007. Web. 09 December. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/film-review/the-shining-97376/>