Stanley Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange"
Looks at how Stanley Kubrick's film, "A Clockwork Orange" deploys aestheticized violence as a means of exploring not only social control, but also relations among men and women in society.
# 110133 | 1,590 words | 5 sources | MLA | 2008 |
Published on Dec 16, 2008 in Film (Analysis, Criticism, Etc.) , Women Studies (Feminism) , Sociology (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explores early feminist readings of Stanley Kubrick's film, "A Clockwork Orange", and, in examining their dismissal of the film for its supposed misogyny and anti-feminist message, shows that the film's ultimate "message" may in fact be a lot more subversive than early feminist readings would attest to. The paper maintains that Kubrick is showing us a rather extreme, aestheticized reflection of the relations between men and women in society, as the artist perceived them. What "A Clockwork Orange", then, presents us with is an aestheticized version of violence that comes about not merely as a means of social control, but as the result of relations between men and women that have been strictly codified by norms of gender that are then left unquestioned.
Sample of Sources Used:
- Beehler, Roger. "Containing Violence." Ethics 92.4 (1982): 647-660.
- Costello, Donald P. "From Counterculture to Anticulture." The Review of Politics 34.4 (1972): 187-193.
- DeRosia, Margaret. "An Erotics of Violence." Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange. Ed. Stuart Y. McDougal. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003. 61-84.
- Gracyk, Theodore A. "Pornography as Representation: Aesthetic Considerations." Journal of Aesthetic Education 21.4 (1987): 103-121.
- Staiger, Janet. "The Cultural Productions of A Clockwork Orange." Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange. Ed. Stuart Y. McDougal. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003. 37-59.
Cite this Film Review:
Stanley Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange" (2008, December 16) Retrieved October 24, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/film-review/stanley-kubrick-a-clockwork-orange-110133/
"Stanley Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange"" 16 December 2008. Web. 24 October. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/film-review/stanley-kubrick-a-clockwork-orange-110133/>