The Origins of Life
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explains that the search for life beyond this planet must be built on a solid understanding of how life managed to emerge on Earth. The author examines the development of extraterrestrial theories about the origins of life by beginning with an examination of previous theories of origin. The paper then presents current research and the empirical basis for current theories with implications for the search for extraterrestrial life. The author also offers some possible avenues of future research and examination, which could help refine the understanding of the origins of life in the universe.
From the Paper:"In fact, the presence of a liquid like water seems to be the only major prerequisite for the development of life. Without a liquid, the complex chemical reactions required for the emergence of life are presumed impossible. But, that's not to say that the liquid in question must be water. Many researchers are exploring the possibility of life developing in more unorthodox liquids, such as methane, ammonia, or even sulfuric acid. Life on earth may have simply developed to take advantage of the very abundant liquid water; water's presence may have only been happenstance."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Alper, J. (2002, November). It came from outer space: Recent observational evidence supports the theory that the chemical stew necessary for the development of earthly life was imported from space. Astronomy, 30(11), 36.
- Boss, A.P. (2004, Summer). On the search for extrasolar planets. Daedalus, 133(3), 116-119.
- Irion, R. (2001, August). Did life on Earth come from Mars? Discover, 22(8), 64-69.
- Lemonick, M.D. & Dorfman, A. (2002, July 29). How life began. Time, 160(5), 42.
- Methane-belching bugs inspire a new theory on the origin of life on Earth. (2006, May 15). Space Daily.
Cite this Essay:
The Origins of Life (2008, June 22) Retrieved February 28, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/essay/the-origins-of-life-104748/
"The Origins of Life" 22 June 2008. Web. 28 February. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/essay/the-origins-of-life-104748/>