Religion of Haiti
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
In this article, the writer notes that the Haitian culture is a fascinating amalgam of different influences. However, the society has also cultivated these different influences and sources in its history into a unique blend that is distinctly Haitian. The writer points out that one of the most interesting aspects of this culture is the brand of religion that developed in the country. The writer discusses that a study of the religious complex of the Haitian people is fascinating because it shows how religious and spiritual ideas and concepts can be translated and adapted to new and different environments - and the way that these adaptations transform into new and different religious traditions. Voodoo is also a religion that is largely misunderstood as a result of the incorrect focus on certain sensational aspects. The writer maintains that it should be remembered that Voodoo is a religion that emphasizes culture and cultural continuity with a deep sense of reverence of the social and spiritual past.
From the Paper:"This is possibly one of the most impressive aspects of the religion; namely, the cultural connections that are developed between the living and the dead and between the spiritual and material worlds. It is this continuity of culture and tradition that makes the religion such an integral and important part life and spirituality of the society.
"It should also be noted that the main purpose of the Voodoo religion is healing and not, as some assume, witchcraft and turning people into zombies."
Sample of Sources Used:
- AFRICAN RELIGION Syncretism. 7 December 2007. http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/voodoo/syncretism.htm
- Corbett B. Introduction to Voodoo in Haiti. 1988. 7 December 2007. http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/43a/010.html.
- Haiti. 7 December 2007. http://encarta.msn.com/text_761576153__1/Haiti.html
- Religion. 7 December, 2007. http://countrystudies.us/haiti/33.htm
- Voodoo. 7 December, 2007. http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofEnglish/imperial/carib/voodoo.htm
Cite this Essay:
Religion of Haiti (2008, July 31) Retrieved April 22, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/essay/religion-of-haiti-106348/
"Religion of Haiti" 31 July 2008. Web. 22 April. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/essay/religion-of-haiti-106348/>