Power, Leadership, and Strategy
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explains that power brings about social and economic change, leadership needs to be effective to bring about such change and strategy uses the two to implement the changes that are needed. The author points that the relevance of power was recognized by such great community leaders as Dr. Martin Luther King and Saul Alinsky, who would mobilize communities to tackle local issues and problems. The paper stresses that many times people in public and community service are leery of government involvement in their projects or programs; however, such involvement can be extremely beneficial because the government can assist with funds or implementation of programs that may promote community and neighborhood development.
From the Paper:"Effective leadership is the key to accomplishing stated goals when effectively addressing public and community issues. Utilizing existing leadership from local community associations is an efficient and useful method of accomplishing change within the community. Such leaders must be assessed as to their leadership characteristics and strengths within the community. Leaders should be questioned as to what group they are associated with and what the leadership role is within this organization; how they have impacted the community as a whole, beyond their membership in the group;..."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Eby, John W. "Why Service-Learning is Bad." 1998 March. September 13, 2007 <http://www.messiah.edu/external_programs/agape/servicelearning/ articles/wrongsvc.pdf.>
- Ganz, Marshall. "Hillel's Questions: A Call for Leadership." Being Jewish. 2007. September 12, 2007 <http://www.beingjewish.org/magazine/ spring2007/article6.html>.
- "Interest in Social and Civic Responsibility Increases and Support for Military Spending Declines." The American Freshman. 2005. September 12, 2007 <http://gseis.ucla.edu/heri/PDFs/ResearchBrief05.PDF>.
- King, Martin Luther, Jr. "Where Do We Go From Here?" Annual Report Delivered at the 11th Convention of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. 1967 August 16. September 14, 2007 <http://www- personal.umich.edu/~gmarkus/MLK_WhereDoWeGo.pdf.>.
- Kretzmann, John P. "Building Communities From the Inside Out." NHI. September - October 1995, September 13, 2007 <http://www.nhi.org/online/issues/83/buildcomm.html>.
Cite this Essay:
Power, Leadership, and Strategy (2008, January 28) Retrieved October 20, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/essay/power-leadership-and-strategy-100741/
"Power, Leadership, and Strategy" 28 January 2008. Web. 20 October. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/essay/power-leadership-and-strategy-100741/>