The Architectural Styles of Key West
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper provides an insight to the architectural styles in the United States' Key West and discusses the most predominant type of architecture there; the conch style. The author details the origins of conch houses and how they were adapted to the tropical weather of the Florida Keys. The paper also explains how the Key West architecture now has its roots in the conch houses of the original settlers, but also in the Bahamas, Africa, and even New England. In addition, other architectural styles are briefly described as well as how building codes have affected the landscape.
From the Paper:"These homes are also aesthetically pleasing to most people and they have a lot to offer to the right person who is looking for a home to call his or her own in Key West or one of the other islands that make up the Florida Keys. They reflect the heritage of the area and the settlers who came from many other places to make their homes there on Key West. They also reflect the island life and the beauty of a climate that is so very tropical and sunny and warm most of the time. The conch house is not the only game in town, though, when it comes to where a person can live on Key West."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Caemmerer, Alex. (1992). The Houses of Key West. Pineapple Press
- Goodwin-Nguyen, Sarah. (2008). Key West (Tourist Town Guides). Channel Lake, Inc
- Hemmel, David L, and Smith, Judi S. (2004). Living in the Key West style anywhere. Duval Publishing
- Keith, June. (2002). June Keith's Key West & the Florida Keys: A guide to the Coral Islands. Palm Island Press
- Linsley, Leslie, and Aron, Jon. (1992). Key West houses. Rizzoli International Publications
Cite this Descriptive Essay:
The Architectural Styles of Key West (2009, June 04) Retrieved July 02, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/the-architectural-styles-of-key-west-114268/
"The Architectural Styles of Key West" 04 June 2009. Web. 02 July. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/the-architectural-styles-of-key-west-114268/>