Staphylococcus aureus: The Bacteria
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper begins with a look at what Staphylococcus aureus is as a bacteria and provides a bit of history. The bulk of the paper discusses where the bacteria can be found, what its various strains are and what illnesses are associated with it.
From the Paper:"Staphylococci often appears in clusters but may also appear in pairs or short chains (FDA). The bacteria are gram-positive, nonmotile, non-spore forming, and catalase-positive (Tolan & Baorto). Of the more than thirty species of staphylococci, only the aureus and the epidermidis "are significant in their interactions with humans," (Todar). Todar notes, "nearly all strains of S. aureus produce the enzyme coagulase: nearly all strains of S. epidermidis lack this enzyme." Others can infect humans, but staphylococcus aureus is by far the most common of the genus."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Overview of Healthcare-associated MRSA. Retrieved April 20, 2009 from http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/ar_MRSA.html
- FDA. "Staphylococcus aureus." Foodborne Pathogenic Microorganisms and Natural Toxins Handbook. Retrieved April 20, 2009 from http://www.foodsafety.gov/~mow/chap3.html
- Stoppler, Melissa Conrad. Staph Infection (Staphylococcus aureus). MedicineNet. Retrieved April 20, 2009 from http://www.medicinenet.com/staph_infection/article.htm
- Todar, Kenneth. Staphylococcus aureus and Staphylococcal Disease. Todar's Online Texbook of Bacteriology. Retrieved April 20, 2009 from http://www.textbookofbacteriology.net/staph.html
- Tolan, Robert R. & Baorto, Elizabeth P. Staphylococcus Aureus Infection. eMedicine. Jan 23, 2009. Retrieved April 20, 2009 from http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/971358-overview
Cite this Descriptive Essay:
Staphylococcus aureus: The Bacteria (2011, October 26) Retrieved December 03, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/staphylococcus-aureus-the-bacteria-148454/
"Staphylococcus aureus: The Bacteria" 26 October 2011. Web. 03 December. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/staphylococcus-aureus-the-bacteria-148454/>