School Counselor Model Descriptive Essay by write123
School Counselor Model
A discussion on the perceptions of teachers on the role of the school guidance counselor before implementation of the American School Counseling Association Model (ASCA).
# 105801 | 1,498 words | 16 sources | MLA | 2008 |
Published on Jul 18, 2008 in Education (Administration) , Education (Curriculum) , Education (Development Studies) , Education (Teaching Methods)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses the facts that concern the perceptions of the teachers on the role of the School Guidance Counselor before implementation of American School Counseling Association Model (ASCA) and after the implementation of American School Counseling Association Model (ASCA). The paper provides the insights into the strengths and weaknesses of the ASCA model as it pertains to the teachers' best interests for students.
From the Paper:"The society is changing so rapidly with technology advances and knowledge products that it is difficult for guidance counselors to stay abreast of the future career goals of their students in addition to handling these students' growing personal needs. In fact since the beginning development of this field counselors have gone in different directions with varying emphasis, so there the roles that these specialists play in the school systems are inconsistent.
"To better understand the present situation with professional school counselors (PSC), it is necessary to better understand their historical foundation. As noted by Lambie and Wilson (2004), "school counseling's historical narrative constructs the lens through which individuals interpret the profession. To understand and possibly alleviate the current incongruence between the actual and the ideal professional identity of PSCs, the historical narrative configuring the profession needs to be understood, appreciated, and then possibly reconstructed."
Sample of Sources Used:
- American School Counselor Association. (2004). The role of the professional school counselor. Retrieved September 1, 2007 from http://www.schoolcounselor.org/content.asp?contentid=240
- Borders, L D. (2002). School counseling in the 21st century: Personal and professional reflections. Professional School Counseling, 5, 180-185.
- Carey Dimmitt, Jay Carey (2007). Using the ASCA Model to facilitate school transitions. Professional School Counseling. 10(3); 227
- Cobia, D.C., and Henderson, D.A. (2003). Handbook of school counseling. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill Prentice Hall.
- Dewey, J. (1963). Experience and education. New York: Collier.
Cite this Descriptive Essay:
School Counselor Model (2008, July 18) Retrieved May 28, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/school-counselor-model-105801/
"School Counselor Model" 18 July 2008. Web. 28 May. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/school-counselor-model-105801/>