Racism and Class in "In the Heart of the Country"
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper presents a summary and a review of "In the Heart of the Country" by white South African writer J.M. Coetzee. In particular, the paper examines how the novel uses a personal lens to reflect a larger social issue--racism and class in a country with a history of apartheid.
From the Paper:"In the United States, the book was published under the title From the Heart of the Country. A film entitled "Dust" (directed by Marion Hansel) was adapted from but not always adherent to the novel. New York Times reviewer Janet Maslin wrote that the film director succeeded in depicting the obsessive world of the veldt in which a dichotomy develops that accompanies the striking visual impact of the cast that took part to the film(Maslin 1986).
"In a review of the book, Augusto Wong Campos maintains that Magda, the main character and a farmer in colonial-era South Africa, is jealous of her old father's mistress, who also happens to be the servant of her servant's wife. Magda keeps a journal that details both her plans to assassin her father and his concubine and her frustration at being still virgin at age 50. "In the midst of the stream of consciousness, she informs us of how she actually killed her father and had sexual encounters with servant Hendrik, in the end of the story, she's lost her mind, alone in her home in the middle of nowhere.'(Wong Campos 2011) "
Sample of Sources Used:
- Anthony , James, Sarah Crown. 2006. "Reading on location." The Guardian. http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2006/aug/11/restandrelaxation.onlocationfilminspiredtravel.
- Gyasi, Geoff. 2011. "Book Review: In the Heart of the Country by J.M. Coetzee." Geosi Reads. http://geosireads.wordpress.com/2011/05/06/in-the-heart-of-the-country-by-j-m-coetzee/> (May 14, 2011).
- Maslin, Janet. 1986. "Dust - Coetzee's Africa." New York Times Movie Reviews. http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9A0DE0DD1F39F932A05753C1A960948260 (May 14, 2011).
- Watson, Stephen. 1986. "Colonialism and the Novels of JM Coetzee." Research in African literatures 17(3): 370-392.
- Wong Campos, Augusto. 2011. "Detailed Book Review." Allreaders.com. www.allreaders.com/topics/info_22254.asp (November 29, 2011).
Cite this Descriptive Essay:
Racism and Class in "In the Heart of the Country" (2014, March 24) Retrieved September 17, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/racism-and-class-in-in-the-heart-of-the-country-153846/
"Racism and Class in "In the Heart of the Country"" 24 March 2014. Web. 17 September. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/racism-and-class-in-in-the-heart-of-the-country-153846/>