North American Architecture Through the Ages
This paper examines North American architecture from the Pre-Columbian period to the Federalist period.
# 112224 | 1,151 words | 6 sources | MLA | 2009 |
Published on Feb 17, 2009 in Architecture (Buildings) , Ethnic Studies (North American) , History (U.S. Colonization of North America) , Native-American Studies (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The architecture of North America spans many centuries and many distinct periods. This paper examines North American architecture from the pre-Aztec period up until the independence of the United States. The paper begins with an examination of Teotihuacan, in the Valley of Mexico and its influence the architecture of the Aztecs and other peoples in the pre European age. The paper then discusses native American architecture such as the pueblos of the American Southwest. Finally, the paper discusses architectural design and trends following the colonization of North America by European settlers and up until the Declaration of Independence.
Sample of Sources Used:
- Doxtater, Dennis. "Parallel Universes on the Colorado Plateau: Indications of Chacoan Integration of an Earlier Anasazi Focus at Canyon De Chelly." Journal of the Southwest 45.1-2 (2003): 33+.
- Gowans, Alan. Styles and Types of North American Architecture: Social Function and Cultural Expression. New York: Icon Editions, 1993.
- Moctezuma, Eduardo Matos. "6 From Teotihuacan to Tenochtitlan Their Great Temples." Trans. Scott Sessions. Mesoamerica's Classic Heritage: From Teotihuacan to the Aztecs. Ed. David Carrasco, Lindsay Jones, and Scott Sessions. Boulder, CO: University Press of Colorado, 2000. 185-194.
- O'Connor, Mallory McCane. Lost Cities of the Ancient Southeast. Gainesville, FL: University Press of Florida, 1995.
- Roth, Leland M. A Concise History of American Architecture. Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 1980.
Cite this Descriptive Essay:
North American Architecture Through the Ages (2009, February 17) Retrieved November 26, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/north-american-architecture-through-the-ages-112224/
"North American Architecture Through the Ages" 17 February 2009. Web. 26 November. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/north-american-architecture-through-the-ages-112224/>