Landscape: Emery Barnes Park, Vancouver
This paper discusses the Emery Barnes Park, an area of greenery, water fountains and man-made structures, located in the Yorktown area of Vancouver.
# 102564 | 1,420 words | 5 sources | APA | 2008 |
Published on Mar 27, 2008 in Architecture (Modern) , Geography (General) , Canadian Studies (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explains that the Emery Barnes Park is one of three parks in the downtown south region of Vancouver, which are intended to bring 4.5 acres of park space to the residents of the area. The author points out that the cultivation of the landscape matches the up-market culture of the region. The paper describes the elegant lines, modern architectural touches and elegant old-world stone structures, which characterize this landscape. The author relates that, despite some old world touches, the atmosphere of the park creates a feeling of modernism with its forward-looking view of the world, which focuses on reason, scientific rationality, creativity, progress and novelty. The paper states that the park is named for Emery Barnes, a longtime community activist who was chosen to represent the park because of his commitment to human rights and helping the disadvantaged, a big part of Canada's liberal cultural policy. The paper includes color photos.
From the Paper:"Perhaps many years ago the region may have been somewhat derelict, or at the very least ordinary: the urbanization of the downtown region has replaced some fairly seedy regions, which still exist on the east side of the downtown area. The park's structure is notable because it is very open. Residents in the area typically live in condos or apartments, and therefore have no back yard or natural space to enjoy. Emery Barnes Park therefore operates as a place of relaxation and enjoyment of both natural and man-made beauty. The green grass gives the urban residents the chance to walk on green lawn, bare foot if they wish to."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Barnes, Emery. (2007). Blackpast.org. Retrieved March 16, 2007 from http://www.blackpast.org/?q=aaw/barnes-emery-1929-1998.
- Emery Barnes Park. (2007). Les Twarog & Sonja Pedersen. Retrieved March 16, 2007 from http://www.lestwarog.com/emerybarnes/index.html
- Emery Barnes Park. (2005). Pacific Metropolis. Retrieved March 16, 2007 from http://www.pacificmetropolis.com/2005/08/emery_barnes_pa.html.
- Knox, P.L., Marston, S.A. & Nash, A.E.(2004). Human Geography: Places and Regions in Global Context. Toronto: Pearson Education Canada.
- Price Tags (2006). Word Press. Retrieved March 16, 2007 from http://pricetags.wordpress.com/2006/09/04/price-tags-88-intersections/.
Cite this Descriptive Essay:
Landscape: Emery Barnes Park, Vancouver (2008, March 27) Retrieved March 02, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/landscape-emery-barnes-park-vancouver-102564/
"Landscape: Emery Barnes Park, Vancouver" 27 March 2008. Web. 02 March. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/landscape-emery-barnes-park-vancouver-102564/>