$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper closely examines the "Column Figure of a Nimbed King" and describes how this statue represents an Old Testament king. The paper shows how the column figure is reflective of the emerging Gothic style and of the philosophical attitudes of that period of time.
From the Paper:"Art represents the era in which it was produced and often speaks to later time periods as well, and how we view the art of the past shows some of what we think about ourselves and about the meaning we attribute to both past and present. When we view a work like Column Figure of a Nimbed King, a sculpture from around the period 1150-1170, we measure the people of that time on the basis of what this one sculptor has produced, considering how the work reflects attitudes and aesthetics from the time as well as how it speaks to us and says something to us about our ancestors."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Frankl, Paul. Gothic Architecture. Baltimore, Maryland: Penguin Books, 1962.
- Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History (2008). November 20, 2008. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/h2/h2_20.157.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.metmuseum.org/TOAH/ho/07/euwf/ho_20.157.htm&usg=__dFrtLGp00hQiSZZjwXklNITMxk0=&h=707&w=300&sz=55&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=KXJ9MTiHqzbG8M:&tbnh=140&tbnw=59&prev=/images%3Fq%3DColumn%2BFigure%2Bof%2Ba%2BNimbed%2BKing%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN.
- "Medieval European Sculpture for Buildings." Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History (2008). November 20, 2008. https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/arch/hd_arch.htm.
- Stoddard, Whitney S. Art and Architecture in Medieval France: Medieval Architecture, Sculpture, Stained Glass, Manuscripts, the Art of the Church Treasuries. Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, 1972.
- Vyverberg, Henry, The Living Tradition. New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1978.
Cite this Descriptive Essay:
Gothic Sculpture (2010, August 17) Retrieved February 06, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/gothic-sculpture-128926/
"Gothic Sculpture" 17 August 2010. Web. 06 February. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/gothic-sculpture-128926/>