$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper focuses on the context of the life of Erasmus, born under the name of Herasumus Gerrtitszoon, during the late 15th and early 16th centuries, which was a period of great change. The state of the church, the particular tradition and the world he lived in and a description of his life including contributions he made to the early modern church and the legacies attributed to him in the church today are explored. The author underscores that Ersasmus' insights still seem of concern for both Roman Catholic and Protestant schools of thought.
From the Paper:"Desiderius Erasmus was born at Rotterdam, Holland on October 28th. There is a great uncertainty regarding the year of Erasmus' birth, there appears to be much dispute, based on different historians/theologians assertions. Johan Huizanga in And the Age of Reformation (1984) states he was born in 1966. Albert Hyma writes his birth was in 1469. George Faludy believes it's possible to deduce he was born in either 1466,1467, or 1468 but that 1469 seems to be the most certain year scholars can agree upon."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Faludy, George. Erasmus . New York: Stein and Day.
- Halkin, Leon E. Erasmus: A Critical Biography Oxford: Blackwell Publisher, 1993.
- Huizanga, John. And the Age of Reformation. New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1984.
- Hyma, Alberta. The Life of Desiderius Erasmus. Netherlands: Royal VanGorcum Ltd., 1972.
- Hill, Johnanthan The History of Christian Thought. Illinois: InterVarsity Press, 2003.
Cite this Descriptive Essay:
'Desiderius' Erasmus (2009, May 13) Retrieved June 04, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/desiderius-erasmus-113830/
"'Desiderius' Erasmus" 13 May 2009. Web. 04 June. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/desiderius-erasmus-113830/>