Child and Elderly Abuse
A discussion of the extent of child abuse and elderly abuse in America and the laws that are meant to protect against such abuses.
# 114820 | 1,240 words | 10 sources | MLA | 2009 |
Published on Jun 26, 2009 in Law (Family) , Criminology (Public and Crime) , Child, Youth Issues (Child Abuse) , Sociology (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper defines abuse and describes the forms taken by child abuse and elderly abuse. The author provides statistics for child abuse and elder abuse in the U.S., and describes some of the laws that are intended to protect children and the elderly. However, abuse is still rampant due to, among other given reasons, insufficient enforcement of state laws, the vagueness of federal laws, and a reluctance on the part of health care professionals to report suspected cases. The paper concludes with recommendations for reducing cases of abuse by increased consistency in upholding state law, mandatory reporting by health care professionals, and ample protection for the elderly and for victimized children.
Sample of Sources Used:
- Administration for Children and Families. (2006, 10 Feb.). Child Abuse Prevention & Treatment Act. [Online] Retrieved 19 March 2008 from the Website: http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/laws_policies/cblaws/capta/index.htm#sec1
- American Bar Association. (June 2007). Summary of Some Key Changes to the Federal Child Abuse Prevention & Treatment Act (CAPTA). [Online] Retrieved 18 March 2008 from the Website: http://www.abanet.org/child/capta.shtml
- Child Advocate.org. (2004). Corporal Punishment: Facts about United States and International Laws. [Online] Retrieved 18 March 2008 from the Website: http://www.childadvocate.org/1a_laws.htm
- Child Welfare Information Gateway (May 2007). Child Maltreatment 2005: Summary of Key Findings. [Online] Retrieved 17 March 2008 from the Website: http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/factsheets/canstats.cfm
- Jogerst, G. J., Daly, J. M., Brinig, M. F., Dawson, J. D., Schmuch, G. A., and Ingram, J. G. (2003). "Domestic elder abuse and the law." American Journal of Public Health, 93(12): 2131-21136.
Cite this Descriptive Essay:
Child and Elderly Abuse (2009, June 26) Retrieved July 19, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/child-and-elderly-abuse-114820/
"Child and Elderly Abuse" 26 June 2009. Web. 19 July. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/child-and-elderly-abuse-114820/>