Burmese in Fort Wayne
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper describes the Burmese immigrant community that now resides in Fort Wayne, Indiana. First, the paper discusses the different religious groups within the community and the factors that unite them. Next, the various aid groups that have helped the new immigrants are listed. The paper also examines why the Burmese in Fort Wayne left their country of origin and how Fort Wayne became a hub for Burmese refugees in America. Finally, the challenges that the Burmese refugees face are enumerated. The paper concludes by highlighting the strengths of the Burmese immigrant community in Fort Wayne.
From the Paper:"Fort Wayne's Burmese population is a diverse one, comprised of Buddhists, Christians, and Muslims. A shared culture, national history, and collective memory of displacement are some of the factors that unite the otherwise disparate members of Fort Wayne's Burmese community. The Burmese community in Fort Wayne is only about ten years old but already shows signs of strengthening. Non-profit aid groups have helped Fort Wayne's Burmese residents adapt to their new surroundings as well as welcome new members into the community. Religious aid organizations such as Friends of Burma are also helping the Burmese residents of Fort Wayne by increasing public knowledge of the situation in Burma and the need to help the troubled nation's refugees (Friends of Burma nd). "
Sample of Sources Used:
- Brackett, E. (2008). For Indiana Community, Myanmar's Cyclone Crisis Hits Home. PBS. Retrieved Nov 17, 2008 from http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/weather/jan-june08/responding_05-14.html
- Friends of Burma. Web site retrieved Nov 17, 2008 from http://www.friendsofburma.org/
- Jha, L.K. (2007). A Little Burma in Fort Wayne. The Irrawaddy. 15(6). Retrieved Nov 17, 2008 from http://www.irrawaddy.org/article.php?art_id=7326
- Puente, M. (2007). Burmese Refugees Find New Home in Fort Wayne. Chicago Public Radio. Transcript retrieved online Nov 17, 2008 from http://184.108.40.206/search?q=cache:KiTpi-qiftUJ:www.karenkonnection.org/Docs/100407_National%2520Public%2520Radio_Transcript1.pdf+fort+wayne+refugees&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us&client=firefox-a
- Puente, M. (2008). Myanmar Refugees in Indiana Await Word. Chicago Public Radio. Retrieved Nov 17, 2008 from http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/Content.aspx?audioID=22694
Cite this Descriptive Essay:
Burmese in Fort Wayne (2010, August 15) Retrieved September 24, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/burmese-in-fort-wayne-128850/
"Burmese in Fort Wayne" 15 August 2010. Web. 24 September. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/burmese-in-fort-wayne-128850/>