$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper explains that to properly design a workshop to teach leadership skills to African-American students, a needs assessment must be conducted. The paper points out that each portion of the performance matrix should be included within the program to best encourage the youth to participate and achieve. The paper relates that studies show that leadership training can help decrease school drop-out rates, can create a positive self-image amongst African-American students that translates to broader scale academic and lifestyle success and can serve as a psychological treatment for troubled youth.
From the Paper:"If a preexisting program is chosen, then no further work is needed. However, if a program is in need of development outside of what already exists, the planning committee needs to synthesize what has been learned from the literature about leadership training. Those programs and workshops identified, as being effective should have their methods incorporated into the program being designed. Out of this research, a new and effective workshop program may be developed specifically to meet the needs of the initial assessment."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Bemak, F. (2005) Empowerment Groups for Academic Success. Professional School Counseling. June 2005. Retrieved July 30, 2006 from: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KOC/is_5_8/ai_n14732783.
- Brown, R. (1990) In Pursuit of Excellence. Ebony. August 1990. Retrieved July 30, 2006 from: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1077/is_n10_v45/ai_9231369.
- Celestine, J. (N.D.) African American Youth and Civic Engagement: A Review of the Literature. Presented to the University of Chicago. Retrieved July 30, 2006 from: http://blackyouthproject.uchicago.edu/primers/reviews/civicengagement.pdf
- Gagne, R.M., Briggs, L.J., & Wager, W.W. (2005) Principles of Instructional Design, 4th Ed. Fort Worth: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich College Publishers.
- Gilbert, T.F. (1996) Human Competence: Engineering Worthy Performance. McGraw Hill.
Cite this Descriptive Essay:
African-American Workshop (2009, August 10) Retrieved December 05, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/african-american-workshop-115769/
"African-American Workshop" 10 August 2009. Web. 05 December. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/descriptive-essay/african-american-workshop-115769/>