TV Cop Shows
Compares first-generation cop shows "Hill Street Blues" and "Dragnet" with today's popular TV series "Law & Order" and "CSI'".
# 116840 | 1,715 words | 6 sources | APA | 2009 |
Published on Oct 25, 2009 in Communication (Television) , Film (Television) , English (Comparison) , Criminology (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper four different television cop shows: "Hill Street Blues", "Dragnet", Law & Order", and "CSI". The paper contends that "CSI" and "Law & Order" are cookie-cutter, formula shows based on the original TV cop series "Dragnet"; whereas, "Hill Street Blues" delves into real social issues. To illustrate its point, the paper contrasts specific episodes to demonstrate the superiority of "Hill Street Blues". The paper concludes that "Hill Street Blues" shuns the good versus evil theme of other TV cop shows and instead examines the complexities, contradictions and frailties of its characters, the system and police work itself.
From the Paper:"CSI Miami" is just a relocation of the same show, except more glossy as it is in Miami. In episode number 110, we see more of the same line whereby central investigators Horatio, Speedle and Calleigh root through the evidence in the homicide of a strange and unorthodox college professor whom they find tied to a tree. In another case, Delko and Megan investigate a car found in the water with a dead body in the trunk, and immediately suspect an insurance scam. Once again we are presented with clues and invited to join in the investigation as it unfolds, but with more shallow characters and predicable lines."
Sample of Sources Used:
- CSI Miami: A Horrible Mind. November 25, 2002. Retrieved November 20, 2008: http://www.csifiles.com/episodes/miami/season1/a_horrible_mind.shtml
- Dragnet Episode Guide. (2008) Retrieved November 20, 2008: http://www.tv.com/dragnet/show/644/episode_guide.html
- Hill Street Blues Episode 1 (2008) Retrieved November 20, 2008: http://www.tv.com/hill-street-blues/hill-street station/episode/51545/recap.html?tag=overview;recap
- Law and Order Episode Guide: 2008: http://www.tv.com/law-and-order/show/180/episode_guide.html
- Rites of Spring Season 1 Episode 14. 1982 Retrieved November 20, 2008: http://www.tv.com/hill-street-blues/rites-of-spring-1/episode/51558/summary.html
Cite this Comparison Essay:
TV Cop Shows (2009, October 25) Retrieved September 24, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/tv-cop-shows-116840/
"TV Cop Shows" 25 October 2009. Web. 24 September. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/tv-cop-shows-116840/>