Traditional Costume in Bulgaria and Wales
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper decribes both Welsh and Bulgarian costumes and their similarities and differences. The paper discusses how the color and design of a woman's dress in Bulgaria gives her a local identity, as well as a national one, while the dress of a Welsh woman may identify her as a nationalist, and one who identifies with a period of history when Welsh culture was being revived and recreated.
From the Paper:"Traditional costume serves many functions, and in the past has been used both as decoration, and as a national inspiration. Bulgarian costume, for example which developed in the middle ages, has used its national costume for both folk festivals, the one at Koprivshtitsa for example (Eliznik, 2005), and also as a symbol of its struggles for independence: the fashion for Chernodreshna, a particular kind of male costume, "Was the result of the new social, economic, and cultural context." (Omda, 2007). Wales, in comparison, came relatively late to traditional costume, the dress which is associated with Wales only being developed in the mid-nineteenth century. Later on, it became a symbol of Welsh nationalism: "Wearing a costume enabled people to declare their national identity in a period when it was under threat" (Winter, 2006)"
Sample of Sources Used:
- Ceredigion Museum (2007) "Welsh Costume" http://www.gtj.org.uk/en/item10/27025
- Eliznik (2005) "Bulgarian Costume" http://www.eliznik.org.uk/Bulgaria/costume/index.htm
- Ethnographic Institute (2007)"Traditional Bulgarian Costumes" http://www.omda.bg/engl/ethnography/folk_costumes_en.htm
- Jones, Heather Rose (2004) "Medieval Welsh FAQs: General Clothing and Needlework Questions" http://heatherrosejones.com/welshfaqs/clothing.html
- Weston, John (2001) "The Welsh Hat" http://www.data-wales.co.uk/hat.htm
Cite this Comparison Essay:
Traditional Costume in Bulgaria and Wales (2009, November 18) Retrieved December 08, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/traditional-costume-in-bulgaria-and-wales-117167/
"Traditional Costume in Bulgaria and Wales" 18 November 2009. Web. 08 December. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/traditional-costume-in-bulgaria-and-wales-117167/>