The Role of Religion in the U.S. and Saudi Arabia
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper examines and compares the role of religion in the United States and Saudi Arabia. It discusses the importance of religion in daily life in Saudia Arabia and how religion influences business dealings and way of life. The paper then describes the concept of the separation between Church and State in the United States and the freedom of religion that is enjoyed there.
From the Paper:"The United States was founded by many seeking freedom from religious oppression. In fact, the very idea of freedom to practice whatever religion one chooses, and have that Church or temple or synagogue separate from the government is one of the essential frameworks of our Constitution and what we call "The American Way of Life." While there are many religious conservatives who often believe (mistakenly) that the U.S. is and ought to be a "Christian nation", this cannot be the case, under our laws. Islam, the state religion of Saudi Arabia, offers no freedom to worship. And, far more than in the U.S. the Koran's teachings and the pronouncement of Mohammedan imams and other clerics literally rule the social and political structure of Saudi Arabia- almost as close to a theocracy as Iran was under the Ayatollah Khomeini years ago."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Edwards, J. T.: "One Nation Under God: Religion in Contemporary American Society" National Catholic Reporter 30.n8 (Dec 17, 1993): pp3(1).
- Long, D.: "Saudi Arabia- The Impact of Modernization on Saudi Culture" Greenwood Publishing Group. 27 November 2007. <http://dailylife.greenwood.com/dle.jsp?
- Nehme, M.G.: "Saudi Arabia 1950-80: between nationalism and religion" Middle Eastern Studies, Oct 1994 v30 n4 p930(14)
- Ochsenwald, W.: "Saudi Arabia" CQ Press: The Congressional Quarterly online www.cqpress.com/context/articles/epr_saudi.html
- Perlman, R. : "Saudi Arabia: Women Seek Change, But Embrace Islamic Traditions" Radio Free Europe, March 21, 2004 www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2004/03/13e1b82d-5ffc-4624-af7f-d66e9d50ec1f.html
Cite this Comparison Essay:
The Role of Religion in the U.S. and Saudi Arabia (2009, November 19) Retrieved January 27, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/the-role-of-religion-in-the-us-and-saudi-arabia-117182/
"The Role of Religion in the U.S. and Saudi Arabia" 19 November 2009. Web. 27 January. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/the-role-of-religion-in-the-us-and-saudi-arabia-117182/>