Political Party Systems Comparison Essay by hicaliber
Political Party Systems
This paper compares the American and U. K. political party system.
# 93282 | 1,125 words | 6 sources | MLA | 2006 |
Published on Mar 14, 2007 in Political Science (Election and Campaigns) , Political Science (Non-U.S.) , Political Science (U.S.) , English (Comparison)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper states that, while both the U.S. and U.K. political party systems are democratic in nature, the American system of candidate selection is more democratic because major parties in the American system allow any individual to be a candidate but major parties in the U.K.'s system pre-select candidates in central committees. The author points out that the U.S. selection process has been soundly criticized for letting money, special interests and political interests create strong favoritism for some candidates. The paper relates that the American and U.K. political system are about equal in government accountability; however, the U.K. system tends to present voters with clearer choices and candidates that are more qualified.
Sample of Sources Used:
- BBC News. Candidate Selection, Saturday, 17 February, 2001, 14:57 GMT. http://news.bbc.co.uk/vote2001/hi/english/voting_system/newsid_1166000/1166514.stm
- Black Information Link. Labour Party GUILTY of Racial Discrimination. http://www.blink.org.uk/pdescription.asp?key=2566&grp=66&cat=330
- Wikipedia. Candidate Selection Procedure in the US and the EU. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candidate_Selection_Procedure_in_the_US_and_the_EU
- Wikipedia. Elections in the United Kingdom. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_the_United_Kingdom#Party_system
- Wikipedia. Politics of the United Kingdom. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_government#Political_parties_and_elections
Cite this Comparison Essay:
Political Party Systems (2007, March 14) Retrieved March 24, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/political-party-systems-93282/
"Political Party Systems" 14 March 2007. Web. 24 March. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/political-party-systems-93282/>