How Wal-Mart Derives Value
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper provides an overview of the routes through which Wal-Mart derives value as it conducts business. The paper discusses Wal-Mart's marketing, in-bound logistics, centralized purchasing, and store layout, and how they help the chain derive value. The paper draws comparisons with Target, Sears-Kmart, and Costco. The paper concludes that each of these four merchandisers has a different approach to the value chain; Wal-Mart seeks to squeeze value from every aspect of its business, Target but puts stronger emphasis on branding and its product mix, Costco is driven largely by its purchasing and distribution, and Sears has placed significant emphasis on human resources as part of the value chain, and followed Wal-Mart's strategy of focusing on operational efficiency.
From the Paper:"This philosophy came about after years of losses, and was used to turn the company around. It enters the value chain through hiring, training and employee communication. Employees are focused on their role within the organization, and are shown the value of that role. In turn, this training function results in greater customer satisfaction and ultimately higher sales."
Sample of Sources Used:
- No author. (2007). The Value Chain. NetMBA.com. Retrieved October 27, 2008 from http://www.netmba.com/strategy/value-chain/
- Bradley, Stephen P. & Ghemawat, Pankaj. (2002). Wal*Mart Stores, Inc. Harvard Business School Case 9-724-024
- (2007) Target Fact Card. Target Corp. Retrieved October 27, 2008 from http://sites.target.com/images/corporate/about/pdfs/corp_factcard_101107.pdf
- (2008) Target Corporation Annual Report 2007. Target Corporation. Retrieved October 27, 2008 from http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/65/65828/reports/Target07AR_FINAL_OnlineVersion.pdf
- Rucci, Anthony J.; Kirn, Stephen P. & Quinn, Richard T. (2008). The Employee-Customer-Profit Chain at Sears. Harvard Business Review. Retrieved October 27, 2008 from http://harvardbusinessonline.hbsp.harvard.edu/hbsp/hbo/articles/article.jsp?ml_action=get-article&articleID=3537
Cite this Comparison Essay:
How Wal-Mart Derives Value (2010, July 01) Retrieved December 08, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/how-wal-mart-derives-value-128150/
"How Wal-Mart Derives Value" 01 July 2010. Web. 08 December. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/how-wal-mart-derives-value-128150/>