Hamlet and Othello as Tragic Heroes
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper defines the characteristics of a typical tragic hero and compares and contrasts the qualities of two of Shakespeare's tragic heroes, Hamlet and Othello. Similarities and differences between both protagonists are examined before the author analyzes how Hamlet's and Othello's tragic flaws are direct results of their subconscious reflections of their relationships with their parents.
From the Paper:"Tragedies always feature a tragic hero as the protagonist of a story. The typical tragic hero has many different characteristics. First, the tragic hero has a downfall usually due to excessive pride, and he contends with an antagonist with whom he fights to the death for his beliefs. The tragic hero realizes his fate through his own actions, and he eventually sees and understands this fate. This hero's fate often ends in death, and he is often a leader or in some position of authority who takes other people down with him as a result. H learns from his mistake and faces a serious decision. Finally, the tragic hero has a tragic flaw that leads to his downfall."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Brotton, Jerry. "Ways of Seeing Hamlet." Hamlet: New Critical Essays. New York: Routledge, 2002. Print.
- Butler-Evans, Elliot. " ' Haply, for I Am Black': Othello and the Semiotics of Race and Otherness. " Othello: New Essays by Black Writers. Washington: Howard University Press, 1997. Print.
- Byles, Joanna."Tragic New Alternatives: Eros and Superego Revenge in Hamlet". New Essays on Hamlet. New York: AMS Press. (1994): 117-134. Print.
- Danner, Bruce. "Speaking Daggers." Shakespeare Quarterly. n.p: Folger Shakespeare Library, 2003. Web. 8 December 2008.
- Foakes, R.A. "Hamlet's Neglect of Revenge." Hamlet: New Critical Essays. New York: Routledge, 2002. Print. Hamlet: New Critical Essays. New York: Routledge, 2002. Print.
Cite this Comparison Essay:
Hamlet and Othello as Tragic Heroes (2010, April 15) Retrieved December 11, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/hamlet-and-othello-as-tragic-heroes-119286/
"Hamlet and Othello as Tragic Heroes" 15 April 2010. Web. 11 December. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/hamlet-and-othello-as-tragic-heroes-119286/>