Dell and Toshiba's Organizational Strategy
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses how both Dell and Toshiba have used organizational learning to break the mold and dominate different facets of their industry. The paper explains how Dell developed a unique strategic model of responsiveness and cheap customized solutions. The paper then looks at how Toshiba pursued an expansive strategy of openness with distributors and manufactures that has been breaking the mold of traditional Japanese success for technology firms.
From the Paper:"Since its conception, Dell Computers has deployed one of the most unique strategies of structuring its operations of any modern computer company. Dell was an early mover in the new field of adopting innovative strategies into its corporate framework, and using organizational learning to become a competitor in an industry dominated by giants. When Dell began in 1985, traditional companies like Toshiba followed the conventional plan of having a large inventory, strong relationships with traditional retailers, and selling inventory through retailers so the item would be available for purchase immediately. However, as a new company, Dell Computer lacked the capital to have an equally large inventory and an established reputation to attract distributors willing to invest in a large Dell inventory (Mitchell, 2007)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Dell. Official Site. 22 Nov 2007. http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/en/home?c=us&l=en&s=corp
- Facklet, Martin & Ken Belson "Toshiba's Strategy." Financial Express. 2005.http://www.financialexpress.com/news/Toshibas-strategy-Grab-China-DVD-market-from-Sony-at-any-risk/157207/3
- Helleron, Richard. "Corporate Strategy: The need for flexibility in strategic planning Thinking Managers. Submitted 2007. 22 Nov 2007.http://www.thinkingmanagers.com/management/corporate-strategy.php Mitchell,
- Mitchell, Pam. "Strategic planning: How to make it work. The Progressive Distributor.2007. 22 Nov. 2007.http://www.mrotoday.com/progressive/Online%20exclusives/StrategicPlanning.htm
- Park, Andrew. "Dude, you're getting a printer." Business Week. 19 Apr 2007. 22 Nov 2007. http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_16/b3879114_mz063.htm
Cite this Comparison Essay:
Dell and Toshiba's Organizational Strategy (2008, July 29) Retrieved July 12, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/dell-and-toshiba-organizational-strategy-106217/
"Dell and Toshiba's Organizational Strategy" 29 July 2008. Web. 12 July. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/dell-and-toshiba-organizational-strategy-106217/>