Community Policing vs. Problem Oriented Policing
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This essay discusses different approaches in policing, specifically community policing and problem-oriented policing. The article first describes aspects of community policing, which is a philosophy and management approach that promotes community, government and police partnerships and proactive problem solving to address the causes of crime, fear of crime and other community issues. The article then describes problem-oriented policing, in which police are less involved with the community but use research and analytical skills to fight criminal activity. The essay finds that both methods are effective, but emphasize solutions in different areas.
From the Paper:"When assessing the need for community policing, key elements should be included: entire departments' need to be involved, officers should have permanent assignments, training is needed for new recruits and seasoned officer, and emphasis should be placed on crime and the community the police serve. The two important elements for community policing are partnerships between the police and the community they serve; and problem solving, which focuses on the underlying causes of the community, which also includes crime."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Allender, D. M. (2004). Community policing: Exploring the philosophy. FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin, 73(3), 18-23.
- Center and Violence Prevention Center. (1999). Community Oriented Policing & Problem Solving: Definitions & Principles. Office of the Attorney General. February 1999. California Department of Justice, 1-19.
- Center for Problem-Oriented Policing (COPS). (2006). The SARA Model. Retrieved 14-May-2007 from http://www.popcenter.org/about-SARA.htm
- Cheurprakobkit, S. (2004). Community policing: Training, definitions and policy. Policing, 25(4), 709-725.
- City of Kirkland, Washington. (2007). Community Oriented Policing and Problem Solving (COPPS) - What is It? Retrieved 14-May-2007 from http://www.ci.kirkland.wa.us/depart/PD/COPPS.htm
Cite this Comparison Essay:
Community Policing vs. Problem Oriented Policing (2010, July 07) Retrieved September 22, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/community-policing-vs-problem-oriented-policing-128248/
"Community Policing vs. Problem Oriented Policing" 07 July 2010. Web. 22 September. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/community-policing-vs-problem-oriented-policing-128248/>