Claude Debussy and Ryo Noda
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper compares and contrasts the renowned French composer Claude Debussy's compositions for flute entitled "Syrinx" with the modern Japanese composer Ryo Noda's compositions for saxophone entitled "Improvisation I", " Improvisation II" and "Improvisation III". The paper examines the similarities and differences between these composers and their respective works in terms of style, technique and instrumentation. The paper shows how the works of both composer reflect their mutual regard for traditional influences but higher regard for innovative creativity. A large amount of source material is appended to the paper.
From the Paper:"In discussing Claude Debussy's work, it is important to note the shift in music compositional style that he instigated in the late Nineteenth Century and early Twentieth with Impressionism. Syrinx, which was written in 1913 for an uncompleted Gabriel Mouray play entitled Psyche, embodies such traits and demonstrates why Debussy was considered "a great harmonic innovator of the Twentieth Century." His new compositional style featured "fresh, new tonal perspectives without abandoning tonality itself." (Moss)"
Sample of Sources Used:
- "Composers: Claude Debussy." EOM. Online. Available: http://www.essentialsof music.com/composer/debussy.html. 21 January 2007.
- "Composers: Debussy, Claude." Naxos. Online. Available: http://www.naxos. com/composerinfo/259.htm. 19 January 2007.
- Cox, David Vassall. Debussy Orchestral Music. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1975.
- D'Angelo, Kimberly. "R. Noda Improvisation 2." 14th World Saxophone Congress, July 5-9, 2006. Online. Available: http://www.worldsax.net/program/html/wed_5_7 /kimberly_dangelo.htm. 20 January 2007.
- Lockspeiser, Edward. Debussy: His Life and Mind. London: Cassell, 1962.
Cite this Comparison Essay:
Claude Debussy and Ryo Noda (2008, February 26) Retrieved February 06, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/claude-debussy-and-ryo-noda-101489/
"Claude Debussy and Ryo Noda" 26 February 2008. Web. 06 February. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/claude-debussy-and-ryo-noda-101489/>