Ancient Greek and Egyptian Religon and Rituals
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
In this article, the writer examines the similarities between the ancient Greek and Egyptian religions, but notes that there were also some differences between the religions. The religions' similarities regarding their creation myths, their pantheon of Gods, their ritual sacrifices performed to honor Gods, and their views of how humans and Gods interacted are all discussed by the paper. The writer concludes that while having some differences, the similarities between ancient Greek and Egyptian religion are many. This paper includes an annotated bibliography.
From the Paper:"The question of where humans and life came from is on that all religions try to answer. Greek and Egyptian religions were no exception to the rule. Both cultures believed that a God was responsible for the creation of the Earth. In Egyptian creation story explains that Atum, the son God, existed alone in the universe. He then created his brother and sister, Shu, the air and life God, and Tefnut, the moisture and order God. This is similar to Greek beliefs that Gaia sprang from nothing and was alone in the universe as well, until her siblings came to be, representing various elements as well. They included Erebos, the God of nights, and Tartarus, the God of underground."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Perry, Glenn E. "Egypt: Religion in Egypt" from The History Of Egypt. Daily Life Online: Exploring Everyday Life Past and Present. Greenwood Publishing Group. 25 March 2009. <http://dailylife.greenwood.com/dle.aspx?k=4&x=GR2264&p=GR2264-46>.
- The Ancient Egypt Site. Ed. Jacques Kinnaer. 17 Oct. 2007. 23 Mar. 2009 <http://www.ancient- egypt.org>.
- "Deities: Greece" from The Greenwood Encyclopedia of Daily Life, Volume 1, The Ancient World. Daily Life Online: Exploring Everyday Life Past and Present. Greenwood Publishing Group. 31 March 2009. <http://dailylife.greenwood.com/dle.aspx?k=1&x=1&p=GR2542-3282>.
- Thorndike, Jonathan L. "Religion and Ritual." Ancient Greece. Vol. 3. Passedena: Salem P, Inc, 2007. 715-18.
- Lemming, David, and Margaret Lemming. Encylopedia of Creation Myths. Santa Barbara: ABC- CLIO, Inc, 1995.
Cite this Comparison Essay:
Ancient Greek and Egyptian Religon and Rituals (2009, May 10) Retrieved November 28, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/ancient-greek-and-egyptian-religon-and-rituals-113801/
"Ancient Greek and Egyptian Religon and Rituals" 10 May 2009. Web. 28 November. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/comparison-essay/ancient-greek-and-egyptian-religon-and-rituals-113801/>