The Causes of the English Civil War
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper examines the events and people who impacted British history and contributed to the coming of the English Civil War, including economic and religious factors tracing back to the early 17th century. This paper includes mla style footnotes but does not contain a works cited page.
From the Paper:"The most crucial mistake made by Charles and Laud was the attempt to force the Scottish clergy to conform to the English system of worship. Scotland and England had different ideas about Royal Supremacy, and the Scots did not believe that Charles was the head of the Church of Scotland under Scottish law. Therefore, when Charles tried to force Scotland to accept the Book of Common Prayer, the Scots were willing to go to war to preserve their Calvinistic doctrine. What followed was a series of Bishops' Wars in which the Scots were ultimately victorious. Because many members of the Parliament and the Puritans allied with the Scots, sides began to form between who supported the king and who did not. The opposition within the Puritans had the necessary leadership, such as John Pym, to be successful. Pym was quite intelligent and used English fears of popery to gain support for his actions."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Lawrence Stone, The Causes of the English Revolution, 1529-1642, New York: Harper & Row, 1972, 62.
- Roger Lockyer, Tudor and Stuart Britain, 1471-1714, New York: St Martin's Press, 1964, 260.
- Stone, 138 and Barry Coward, The Stuart Age, England 1603-1714, London: Longman House, 1994, 199.
- Conrad Russell, The Causes of the English Civil War, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1990, 32.
- J. S. Morrill, Revolt in the Provinces: Conservatism and Radicals in the English Civil War, 1630-1650, New York: Barnes and Noble, 1976, 70.
Cite this Cause and Effect Essay:
The Causes of the English Civil War (2009, November 10) Retrieved October 04, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/cause-and-effect-essay/the-causes-of-the-english-civil-war-117049/
"The Causes of the English Civil War" 10 November 2009. Web. 04 October. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/cause-and-effect-essay/the-causes-of-the-english-civil-war-117049/>