Effects of Domestic Violence on Children
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper examines the impact of domestic violence on children, tracing its effects throughout their lives. The paper begins by defining domestic violence and asserting that even those not abused can be victims. Various long-term effects of domestic violence are discussed including not developing trusting relationships. Children's perceptions of the violence that they witness is explored as well as the psychological symptoms exposure to violence may cause. The paper concludes with an analysis of children's future relationships when they have been raised in an environment of domestic abuse.
From the Paper:"The "victims" of violent relationships are not always directly abused. Children who witness domestic violence are often referred to as, "Invisible Victims" (Osofsky), because they are indirectly affected by the abuse that occurs in their everyday life. These children often experience an array of difficulties, physically and mentally, from bearing witness to domestic violence. It is estimated that, "At least 3.3 million children yearly are at risk of exposure to parental violence" (Edleson). There are many different ways in which children can "witness" domestic violence. Jeffrey L. Edleson, the author of "Children's Witnessing of Adult Domestic Violence," outlines ways in which a child can be the witness of domestic violence: "
Sample of Sources Used:
- Colin, Virginia L. "Infant Attachment: What We Know Now ." U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Nov. 2009. <http://aspe.hhs.gov/daltcp/reports/inatrpt.htm>.
- "Dealing with Feelings: Emotional Health." PBS.org - The Whole Child. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Nov. 2009. <http://www.pbs.org/wholechild/parents/dealing.html>.
- "Definition ." Domesticviolence,org. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Nov. 2009. <http://www.domesticviolence.org/definition/>.
- "Domestic Violence." The Clark County Prosecuting Attorney. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Nov. 2009. <http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/domviol/effects.htm>.
- Edleson, Jeffrey L. "Children's Witnessing of Adult Domestic Violence ." N.d. National Center on Domestic and Sexual Violence . Web. 22 Nov. 2009. <http://www.ncdsv.org/images/ChildrenWitnessingAdultDV.pdf>.
Cite this Cause and Effect Essay:
Effects of Domestic Violence on Children (2010, June 24) Retrieved December 05, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/cause-and-effect-essay/effects-of-domestic-violence-on-children-128023/
"Effects of Domestic Violence on Children" 24 June 2010. Web. 05 December. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/cause-and-effect-essay/effects-of-domestic-violence-on-children-128023/>