Effects of Child Maltreatment on Family Functioning
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper deals with the issue of family relationships, domestic interactions and social networks within and around the family in general and with domestic violence in particular. It describes the various types of domestic violence that can occur and focuses on child maltreatment within the family and what effects it has on the child as an individual. This review then deals with six items of literature on how children are affected by maltreatment on family functioning and provides evaluations, usefulness, validity, reliability and representativeness of these six studies.
From the Paper:"Looking for literature on the topic started off with searching for books in the library catalogue. The key words entered first were physical abuse, sexual abuse and neglect. The number of results given was innumerable, so it was nescessary to narrow it down to the effects of physical abuse, sexual abuse and neglect. The books given now all dealt with the effects for the child as an individual, but not with the effects it had on family functioning.
"Having not found a useful book, a second attempt of research was made looking for e-journals. Again the same keywords were used and again there was an innumerable number of results. There were no results given when entering the key words "effects + family functioning", so the articles displayed on physical, sexual abuse and neglect had to be browsed through. The databases used were Ingenta Online and PsychArticles."
Sample of Sources Used:
- BRIERE, J. AND ELLIOT, D.M. (1993) 'Sexual Abuse, Family Environment, and Psychological Symptoms: On the Validity of Statistic Control', Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 61(2), 284-288.
- HARTER, S. AND ALEXANDER, P.C. AND NEIMEYER, R.A. (1988) 'Long-Term Effects of Incestous Chil Abuse in College Women: Social Adjustment, Social Cognition, and Family Characterisitcs' Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 56(1), 5-8.
- HOWES, P.W. AND CICCHETTI, D. AND TOTH, S.L. AND ROGOSH, F.A. (2000) 'Affective, Organizational, and Relational Characteristics of Maltreating Families: A System Perspective' Journal of Family Psychology, 14(1), 95-110.
- PAAVILAINEN, E. AND ASTEDT - KURKI, P.(2003) 'Functioning of child maltreating families: lack of resources for caring within the family', Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences, 17 (2), 139-147(9).
- PAAVILAINEN, E. (2001) 'Risk factors of child maltreatment withing the family: towards a knowledgable base of family nursing', International Journal of Nursing Studies, 38 (3), 297-303(7).
Cite this Cause and Effect Essay:
Effects of Child Maltreatment on Family Functioning (2008, July 12) Retrieved December 06, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/cause-and-effect-essay/effects-of-child-maltreatment-on-family-functioning-105596/
"Effects of Child Maltreatment on Family Functioning" 12 July 2008. Web. 06 December. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/cause-and-effect-essay/effects-of-child-maltreatment-on-family-functioning-105596/>