Strategic Management and Change
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper discusses how the lessons of strategic management in managing change can be seen in the case of a soft drink bottler who tried to cut corners and did not recognize the importance of multidisciplinary strategic management in such a situation. It looks at how the company was implementing a major ERP solution and how, even though the project was completed, there was significant loss of system functionality and personnel. After sinking millions of dollars in purchasing the software, the soft drink maker tried to cut corners during implementation in relying too heavily on its already overworked employees instead of taking advice from the consultants. The paper attempts to show how an analysis of this case reveals important lessons about multidisciplinary strategic management during periods of managing change.
From the Paper:"Having an effective communications framework would enable the leadership to make a case for change (cited in Culpan, 1989). The role of the mid managers will be to address those issues which are considered to be important by the employees. In this respect, the HR managers should be involved as the change agents so that they will be able to continue to serve their responsibilities as the employee champion in the new organization structure as a result of the change. The most important leadership issues to be considered should be the alignment between the interests of the top management and those of the employees. By involving HR managers, this objective might be met. The potential problem might be strategic alignment of HR as it might not be involved in the current process of strategic planning (cited in Ganesh, 1997)."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Aaker, David A. (2004). Strategic Market Management. McGraw Hill/Irwin.
- Calder, B. J. and Tybout , A. M. (1987), "What consumer research is ....", Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 14, June, pp. 136-40.
- Chanaron, Jean-Jacques & Dominique Jolly 2005, 'Technological management: expanding the perspective of management of technology ', Management Decision, 37, pp 23-43.
- Chandra, Mahesh 1993, 'Total quality management in management development', Journal of management development, 12, pp 12-15.
- Culpan, Refik 1989, 'Leadership styles and human resource management: a content analysis of popular management writings' Management Decision, 27, pp 43-54.
Cite this Case Study:
Strategic Management and Change (2009, November 04) Retrieved September 19, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/case-study/strategic-management-and-change-116981/
"Strategic Management and Change" 04 November 2009. Web. 19 September. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/case-study/strategic-management-and-change-116981/>