Employment Law Case Study Title VII
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The purpose of this paper is to assess whether a violation of employment law under Title VII has occurred using a study conducted at Case University, where 90 percent of the students are African American. The researcher argues that in both cases violations of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act occurred. Specifically, evidence of disparate impact and favoritism and nepotism are demonstrated in the two cases. Court decisions including those of the Supreme Court are noted supporting this argument.
Background and Analysis
Background and Analysis
From the Paper:"Case University, which opened in 1870, claims its early mission included providing newly freed slaves the opportunity to receive a proper education. The University's purpose also includes training African Americans in various professions to promote career advancement. The researcher asserts that the university violated Title VII when it failed to hire candidate Smith as the professor of biology. While there are circumstances when an entity can exclude a candidate for a job, they must be based on sound logic and backed by standards established by the law. For example, when hiring an attendant for a restroom to sit in the restroom and provide customers with hand towels, acceptable practice does allow the business entity to hire women only to manage the female restrooms and males only for oversight of male restrooms."
Sample of Sources Used:
- EEOC (2007) Selected Supreme Court Decisions. Retrieved October 20, 2007: http://www.eeoc.gov/abouteeoc/35th/thelaw/supreme_court.html
- Com. V. Crutchfield. Education. (2003). SC-000483-DG.pdf. Retrieved October 20, 2007: http://www.kentuckylawblog.com/2005_supreme_court_decisions/index.html
- Connecticut v. Teal, 457 U.S. 440 (1982), Find Law. Retrieved October 19, 2007: http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=457&invol=440
- McDonnell Douglas Corp v. Green, 411 U.S. 792 (1973), Find Law. Retrieved October 21, 2007: http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=411&invol=792
- Phillips v. Martin Marietta Corp., 400 U.S. 542 (1971). Find Law. Retrieved October 20, 2007: http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=400&invol=542
Cite this Case Study:
Employment Law Case Study Title VII (2008, July 21) Retrieved January 25, 2021, from https://www.academon.com/case-study/employment-law-case-study-title-vii-105934/
"Employment Law Case Study Title VII" 21 July 2008. Web. 25 January. 2021. <https://www.academon.com/case-study/employment-law-case-study-title-vii-105934/>