Cultural Identity Interview Case Study by Jay Writtings LLC
Cultural Identity Interview
An analysis of an interview of a Chinese-American focusing on cultural identity.
# 118079 | 1,177 words | 5 sources | MLA | 2009 |
Published on Jan 03, 2010 in Asian Studies (Asian American) , Ethnic Studies (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper presents an interview that focuses on cultural identity. An interview with a Chinese-American is described and the interviewee's focus on the theme of the social hierarchy based on tradition and preservation of roles within the Chinese family unit is discussed. The paper discusses the content of the interview and examines identity theory in relation to the interviewee's responses.
From the Paper:"As far as the Chinese-American is concerned, literature reveals that the Chinese-American like all other cultures is involved in a veritable tug of war between their original identity and the new normative culture into which they are entering (Tug of War, 2008). This implies that to attain esteem, the interviewee is recommended to realize that all individuals who arrive in this country, whether they are from China or from somewhere else, are clinically and empirically established to experience self esteem challenges. This realization represents a means by which the subject can continue to de-personalize the disillusionment of the melting pot as well as perceived discrimination."
Sample of Sources Used:
- "Chinese culture." 2008: http://www3.baylor.edu/~Charles_Kemp/chinese.htm
- "Cultural identity theory." 2008: http://www.hum.utah.edu/communication/classes/sp03/3190-1/jan22.pdf
- "Possible Choices of Immigrants' Cultural Identity: A Simplified Chart." 2008: http://www.eng.fju.edu.tw/worldlit/diaspora/identity.htm
- "Tug-of-War Between Two Cultures in The Woman Warrior." 2008: http://www.unc.edu/~ramoore/AbstractWW2.html
- "What Does It Mean to Become an American?" 2008: http://www.pbs.org/becomingamerican/aboutprograms.html
Cite this Case Study:
Cultural Identity Interview (2010, January 03) Retrieved June 09, 2023, from https://www.academon.com/case-study/cultural-identity-interview-118079/
"Cultural Identity Interview" 03 January 2010. Web. 09 June. 2023. <https://www.academon.com/case-study/cultural-identity-interview-118079/>