"Sputnik: The Shock of the Century"
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper looks at how Paul Dickson in "Sputnik: The Shock of the Century" records the successful Soviet launch of Sputnik, the first ever man-made satellite to be placed into orbit around the Earth. The writer of this paper outlines the contents of this work and relates the main insights he personally gained from reading it. The writer notes Dickson's engaging narrative style and asserts that its wide range of viewpoints and perspectives makes this book a must-read for anyone studying the Space Race or the Cold War in general.
From the Paper:"It was one of the most expensive and tense competitions in the history of the world. Government figures were made on the promise of its outcome, or their dedication to their sides advancements. Trillions of dollars and thousands of men and women would become involved over the course of several decades, and the definition of victory in the competition, which was murky from the outset, became harder and harder to discern until it was ultimately acknowledged to be completely elusive. This race eclipsed anything that ever occurred in the Olympics, either in ancient or in modern times. It was bigger than the Superbowl, bigger than the World Cup or the World Series--bigger, in both the figurative and literal sense--than the world itself. The Space Race occupied the majority of the latter-half of the twentieth century; emblematic of the Cold War and United States and Soviet tensions, the technological advances made during the age had direct philosophical and practical implications that forever changed the way the world is perceived and works."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Borz, Fred. "Review of Sputnik: The Shock of the Century," http://www.fredbortz.com/review/Sputnik.htm
- Caviness, Rochelle. "Review: Sputnik: The Shock of the Century, Large Print Reviews, http://www.largeprintreviews.com/sputnik.html
- Curtis, Nancy R. "Review: Sputnik: The Shock of the Century," Library Journal, http://wbrl-lssvr.dnsalias.org:8000/decatur/kcContent?isbn=9780802713650&type=review&controlnumber=dec00086898&referedby=titlelist
- Dickinson, Paul. Sputnik: The Shock of the Century (New York: Walker & Co, 2001)
- Payne, Rodger. "Public Opinion and Foreign Threats: Eisenhower's Response to Sputnik," Armed Forces and Society, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 89-111
Cite this Book Review:
"Sputnik: The Shock of the Century" (2011, January 17) Retrieved April 03, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/book-review/sputnik-the-shock-of-the-century-146798/
""Sputnik: The Shock of the Century"" 17 January 2011. Web. 03 April. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/book-review/sputnik-the-shock-of-the-century-146798/>