Barthe's "The Face of Garbo"
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
In this article the writer addresses the current issue of cosmetic surgery and vanity as it relates to societal expectations. The writer explores the work of Roland Barthes titled "The Face of Garbo" to illustrate the long impact that vanity and facial looks have on society even today. The writer concludes that the work by Barthes, aims to exploit, explain and examine the issue of good looks and the societal reverence for good looks in the era of Garbo, but one can easily see that the issue of good looks is still present today.
Table of Contents:
Table of Contents:
From the Paper:"This is underscored by Barthes in his writing when he examines the lack of expression in the eyes but raves over the beauty in the plaster like facial beauty.
This is a work that easily relates to the contemporary issue of vanity as the world watches Spain get heavily criticized on its recent mandate that models who are too thin will not be allowed to walk the fashion show runways.
It doesn't matter to current society what one is doing to one's health or what one's dreams and ambitions are as long as one looks good. Today, women in the news field have to constantly maintain their youthful looks while their male peers are allowed to age before the camera. A few years ago a woman broadcast anchor sued a major network for firing her because she began to age, however it continues to happen".
Sample of Sources Used:
- The Face of Garbo / Roland Bartheshttp://epigraf.fisek.com.tr/index.php?num=236
- The O'Reilly Factor (Fox News Network)
- Man in the mirror: men are taking sophisticated... Global Cosmetic Industry; Jan 1, 2004; Meunier, Cecile;
- How good looks can pay off (if you're a woman). From: The Daily Mail (London, England) | Date: July 28, 2003 | Author: Powell, Adam | More results for: "good looks" advantages Byline: ADAM POWELL
- Youthful good looks. Cosmetics International; Feb 25, 2000; Hartfield, Emma;
Cite this Book Review:
Barthe's "The Face of Garbo" (2007, February 27) Retrieved April 01, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/book-review/barthe-the-face-of-garbo-92750/
"Barthe's "The Face of Garbo"" 27 February 2007. Web. 01 April. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/book-review/barthe-the-face-of-garbo-92750/>