Japanese Industrial Finance: An Article Review
This paper reviews the article "Japanese Industrial Finance at the Close of the 19th Century: Trade Credit and Financial Intermediation" by Y. Miwa and M. Ramseyer.
# 102460 | 1,188 words | 5 sources | APA | 2008 |
Published on Mar 25, 2008 in Economics (International) , English (Analysis) , Asian Studies (General)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
The paper discusses Japan's economic development at the turn of the 19th century with respect to an article published by Miwa and Ramseyer entitled, "Japanese Industrial Finance at the Close of the 19th Century: Trade Credit and Financial Intermediation." The paper is of the opinion that the article is useful and largely successful at supporting the authors' points. The paper points out, however, that the article is prefaced with an over abundance of historical data that is, at best, only partially relevant from a historical perspective.
From the Paper:"This article discusses several issues relevant to the Japanese economic experience during the late 19th century as it relates to financial revolutions that anticipate rapid economic growth. The observation is made that Japan did experience such a financial upheaval but that it was not artificially inspired but rather the natural by-product of private investor demands for greater financial infrastructures. Additionally, the authors observe that while securities existed in tandem with traditional bank credit structures, trade credit was largely relied upon in order to raise capital for ongoing industrial expansion."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Arayama, Y., & Mourdoukoutas, P. (2000). The Rise and Fall of Abacus Banking in Japan and China. Westport, CT: Quorum Books.
- Ellison, H. J. (Ed.). (1987). Japan and the Pacific Quadrille: The Major Powers in East Asia. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- Jones, G. (2005). Multinationals and Global Capitalism: From the Nineteenth to the Twenty-First Century. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Latham, A. J. & Kawakatsu, H. (Eds.). (2000). Asia Pacific Dynamism, 1550-2000. London: Routledge.
- Miwa, Y. & Ramseyer, M. (2006). Japanese industrial finance at the close of the 19th century: Trade credit and financial intermediation. Explorations in Economic History, 43, p.94- 118.
Cite this Article Review:
Japanese Industrial Finance: An Article Review (2008, March 25) Retrieved April 21, 2019, from https://www.academon.com/article-review/japanese-industrial-finance-an-article-review-102460/
"Japanese Industrial Finance: An Article Review" 25 March 2008. Web. 21 April. 2019. <https://www.academon.com/article-review/japanese-industrial-finance-an-article-review-102460/>