Import-Replacement Theory - The Los Angeles City Region
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper reviews Jane Jacobs' article, "Cities and the Wealth of Nations" and discusses her theories of import-replacement - that cities became self reliant and powerful through the forces of social construction and expansion including markets, city jobs, technology, transplants and capital - in turn creating economic expansion. The author lists Los Angeles County as the perfect example of the import-replacement theory. The paper provides a short write up of the geographical range and economic influence of Los Angeles County and explains why Los Angeles is a city region that has successfully implemented Jacob's theory of import-replacement.
From the Paper:"While many residents had never visited the devastated areas, these disasters reshaped the cities around them and the dominant social consciousness. In addition, the turn of events affected distant cities and regions. As businesses left the Los Angeles area, other cities were positively affected by the influx in economic prosperity. They responded as passive economies."
Sample of Sources Used:
- California Center for Regional Leadership ; Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce. Southland Regional Economic Vitality Conversation. Sacramento: Governor Schwarzenegger's Cabinet, 2004.
- Jacobs, Jane. Cities and the Wealth of Nations. New York: Random House, 1984.
- Kotkin, Joel and Jack Kyser. Recapturing the Dream: A Winning Strategy for the LA Region. Los Angeles: The Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation, 2005.
- Kyser, Jack, et al. 2008-2009 Economic Forecast and Industry Outlook for California and Southern California including the National & International Setting. Los Angeles: The Keyser Center for Economic Research, 2008.
- 2008-2009 Mid Year Update: Economic Forecast and Industry Outlook. Los Angeles: The Keyser Center for Economic Research, July 2008.
Cite this Article Review:
Import-Replacement Theory - The Los Angeles City Region (2009, January 11) Retrieved August 13, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/article-review/import-replacement-theory-the-los-angeles-city-region-111114/
"Import-Replacement Theory - The Los Angeles City Region" 11 January 2009. Web. 13 August. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/article-review/import-replacement-theory-the-los-angeles-city-region-111114/>