$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper begins by addressing the challenges and barriers present in cross cultural communication. The paper then goes on to describe the research conducted in Penelope Benson's article, "The US-Japan Cross-Cultural Connection", as pertaining to the differences in Japanese and American styles of government. Next, the paper describes research conducted by Michelle LeBaron in her article, "Cross Cultural Communication." The paper explains that the focal point of LeBaron's is that fate has a profound affect on cross-cultural communication. The paper lastly discusses Marcelle E. DuPraw's six fundamental patterns of cultural differences as examined in her article, "Working on Common Cross-Culture Communication Challenges."
From the Paper:"In an article by Penelope Benson, the President of New York-Japan International, Benson researches a group of individuals who were interning from Japan regarding their perspective on America. These individuals, having been raised from Japan, have only read and studied about America but have never actually experienced it in person. Benson notes that there will obviously be a barrier in the communication of these people. Japan's culture differs immensely from America's culture in countless ways. During the Japanese individuals' internships, Penelope "had asked the interns to consider themselves as Ambassadors of Japan in their everyday interactions with the Americans they encountered, many of whom might never before have met a Japanese national" (Benson, P., 1997). Benson complimented the individuals by saying that they took cross-cultural responsibility into play and challenged the cultural differences by studying and working on them. Among each individual's observations, he/she concluded that, "The diversity of the US populace leads to opposing opinions at all levels of government as to what issues are critical"
Sample of Sources Used:
- Benson, P (1998) The US-Japan Cross-Cultural Connection. JLGC Newsletter. http://www.jlgc.org/jlgcnews/025/Cross-Cultural.htm
- DuPraw, M. (1997) Working on Common Cross-cultural Communication Challenges. AMPU Guide. http://www.wwcd.org/action/ampu/crosscult.html
- LeBaron, M. (2003) Cross-Cultural Communication. Beyond Intractability.org http://www.beyondintractability.org/m/cross-cultural_communication.jsp
- MSN Encarta. Communication. http://encarta.msn.com/text_761564117___19/Communication.html
- MSN Encarta. Culture. http://encarta.msn.com/tex_761561730___52/Cutlure.html
Cite this Article Review:
Cross-Cultural Communication (2009, October 25) Retrieved September 30, 2022, from https://www.academon.com/article-review/cross-cultural-communication-116834/
"Cross-Cultural Communication" 25 October 2009. Web. 30 September. 2022. <https://www.academon.com/article-review/cross-cultural-communication-116834/>