Looks at water fluoridation as a health hazard.
# 113980 | 2,290 words | 9 sources | MLA | 2009
Published on May 24, 2009 in Environmental Studies (Economics and Policy) , Medical and Health (Dentistry) , Environmental Studies (Environmental Problems) , Medical and Health (Public Health Issues)
$19.95 Buy and instantly download this paper now
This paper argues that water fluoridation is a threat to public and individual health if action is not taken to increase awareness of this environmental danger. First, the author relates the early history of the policy to put fluoride into the drinking water. Next, the sources of fluoride exposure and its dangers are presented. The author suggests recommendations for state and federal legislation regarding fluoride. Ways to protect personally against over exposure to fluoride are included in the paper.
From the Paper:"For a half century assurances from a public health service that water fluoridation is safe have rested on the results of the 1945 New Burgh- Kingston Fluorine-Caries Trial, in which the health of children from the floor data town of Newburgh, New York, were compared for 10 years with children from neighboring non-fluoridated Kingston. The results of the study suggested that children in fluoridated areas were less likely to develop tooth defects. However, recently declassified documents linked a wartime public health service's interests and fluoride to the Manhattan Project."
Sample of Sources Used:
- Bryson, Christopher. Fluoride Deception. New York: Seven Stories P, 2006.
- "Dental Fluorosis." Fluoride Action Network. 4 May 2009 <http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/teeth/fluorosis/index.html>.
- "50 Reasons to Oppose Fluoridation." Fluoride Action Network. 5 May 2009 <http://fluoridealert.org/50-reasons.htm>.
- "Fluoride & Tooth Decay: Topical Vs. Systemic Effects." Fluoride Action Network. 13 May 2009 <http://fluoridealert.org/health/teeth/caries/topical-systemic.html>.
- "Fluoride in Drinking Water: A Scientific Review of EPA's Standards." The National Academies Press. 1 May 2009 <http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11571>.
Cite this Argumentative Essay:
Water Fluoridation (2009, May 24) Retrieved May 25, 2020, from https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/water-fluoridation-113980/
"Water Fluoridation" 24 May 2009. Web. 25 May. 2020. <https://www.academon.com/argumentative-essay/water-fluoridation-113980/>